Author Topic: Should we clean coins?  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
Should we clean coins?
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
Probably a question that haunts us, 'should we clean our coins?' probably the answer will vary depending on factors such as modern /ancient coins, scarce/ common coins, etc. Other issues related to this question is to what extent, with what technique, in which circumstances we ofcourse do and when we never clean, etc.  Let's share our views. 

Islam

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Should we clean coins?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
I make an attempt to avoid acquiring coins that need cleaning or that have obviously been cleaned.  I have never bought a coin
costing much more than pocket change that needed cleaning. Tokens are a slightly different story.  Every rule I have for myself usually has an exception or a few in my history  ;)

If I do decide clean one, I might soak it a in soapy water for a while up to a few days.
I might soak it in acetone.  I might gently use a soft nylon bristle tooth brush.
In a really bad case I might soak it in olive oil for a while.

For tokens I might get harsher with it.

If that doesn't work, I either throw the coin in the trash, give it away or put it in my scrap metal pile for melting and casting projects.

Dale

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »

If that doesn't work, I either throw the coin in the trash, give it away or put it in my scrap metal pile for melting and casting projects.

Dale

Ooooh. Harsh.

Shouldn't I give you my address? I shall send you melted and casted metal bars in return. Isn't that a better swap proposal?

Islam 

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »
Good swap but expensive postage  :)
Dale

Ooooh. Harsh.

Shouldn't I give you my address? I shall send you melted and casted metal bars in return. Isn't that a better swap proposal?

Islam 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:45:56 PM »
Everything depends on the coin and your experience. One extreme is a modern proof, looking great. If you have a coin like that just lock it in safe plastic and the cleaning question is moot. The other extreme are Roman third century coppers looking like they've spent 2000 years in the ground. By all means clean them. There is a lot between the two extremes.

First, your tastes. Your coins are YOUR coins. If you like them shiny, that's your problem. If you like them covered in muck, that's your problem also. Just don't treat coins of scientific interest that way, please.

Next, there's common sense. If you can't see what's on the coin, if dirt covers a vital piece of info, clean. If all the details of the coin are clear, no need to clean if you don't want to.

Also, there's experience. If you decide to clean, ask advice if you need it (that's what we have this board for) and practice on cheap coins before you attack expensive ones. Even if you are practiced, it may be an idea to clean a small area first to see how the metal reacts to your cleaning method. Always remember that the objective of cleaning is to remove what does not belong there, not to remove a layer of metal.

Lastly, in my opinion, telling others in general terms, without lots of buts and on-the-other-hands what (not) to clean is akin to telling them what (not) to collect or which newspaper (not) to read.

Personally, I want my coins readable, not spotless.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
After reading so many articles &  views from  all other  collectors/experts .

Most of serious collectors prefer to keep the coins in the uncleaned condition (means without  altering natural tone , color , patina etc ) .

Even all the reputed auction houses keep the coins uncleaned -  here important point is that legends /effigy should be visible with naked eye or with magnifying glass at least clearly.

Soft gentle cleaning for some metallic coins  recommended to some extent.

As usual views & perception varies from indvidual to indivdual.

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:40:38 PM by aan09 »
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »

I'll buy that one!  :D

Yes, readable, but in the grubby condition in which they circulated suits me fine, then they look like proper coins.   This grubbiness can take on a lustre of its own.

I often remove accumulated dirt from the legend etc., using a toothpick - this can make all the difference.   Also, I sometimes carry a couple of old coins in my pocket with day-to-day change - this gets back that "used" look.

Anything of great value (not that I have any), I wouldn't consider even that.   Also, with modern coins, I like them "straight from the bag" without having been handled.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
I think that works for me too.  I normally don't clean one in a hundred as there isn't really any need.
Nothing looks much better in my opinion than brown or chocolate colored Copper.  And old Silver...welll it should look like old Silver.
Dale

Peter

Offline Lori

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Cleaned vs. not cleaned.....always raise an issue.
Romania -100000 Lei, 1946, silver, 25 gr.

Offline Lori

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »
One more:
Romania -500 Lei, 1944, silver, 12 gr.

Offline Lori

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »
500 Lei 1944

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
Sometimes it is necessary, here is an extreme case, before and after.
soaked overnight in vinegar, then olive oil for a while.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
Sometimes it is necessary, here is an extreme case, before and after.
soaked overnight in vinegar, then olive oil for a while.

A matter to give several considerations. But this is an example that convince me to clean an ugly coin.

Islam

Ansari

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
Probably a question that haunts us, 'should we clean our coins?' probably the answer will vary depending on factors such as modern /ancient coins, scarce/ common coins, etc. Other issues related to this question is to what extent, with what technique, in which circumstances we ofcourse do and when we never clean, etc.  Let's share our views. 

Islam

One more thing to add ie "Why one is collecting coin."
I keep on listening that coins will lose their value on cleaning.......I am least concerned about the value as i m doing the collection as a hobby and i like only clean coin. So the moment i acquire any coin the first thing i do is to clean them using the exp i hv gained through trail n error methos over the period.
And i am Happy with my shining Coins..

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »
I am least concerned about the value as i m doing the collection as a hobby and i like only clean coin.

I appreciate your opinion. Cleaning is not suggested when we want to sell coins. It is prohibited in that circumstances as cleaning may reduce proof of authenticity of a coin especially of ancients as patna or rust on them remains as proof of the coin as ancient. If I know that I shall never sell it, then cleaning or not up to my choice.

Islam