Author Topic: Farrukhsiyar, Mint: Sirhind. AH ? RY 7, KM#377.54  (Read 1042 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Farrukhsiyar, Mint: Sirhind. AH ? RY 7, KM#377.54
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:04:18 AM »
Coins of Sirhind mint are difficult to find. I recently found one issued during the reign of Farrukhsiyar. RY 7 is clearly visible but the date is not. I can see a dot at the 9 O clock position where the date on quite a few Farrukhsiyar coins is seen. So is the date 1130? I saw a similar coin of Oesho at Zeno wher the date combination is 1130 / 7

Amit

Edited the Header after the comment of oesho.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:26:33 PM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Farrukhsiyar, Mint: Surat. AH ? RY 7, KM#377.54
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »
I can see a dot at the 9 O clock position where the date on quite a few Farrukhsiyar coins is seen. So is the date 1130? I saw a similar coin of Oesho at Zeno wher the date combination is 1130 / 7
The dot at 9 o'clock position is a diacritical dot indicating zad. The date is below this word but completely obscured by the corrosion spot. The coin on ZENO is almost die-identical, but not completely, so there remains a possibility for a AH-date 1130 or 1131. Nevertheless it is a very nice and well preserved coin for this mint.
BTW, in the header you write Surat, instead of Sahrind

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Farrukhsiyar, Mint: Sirhind. AH ? RY 7, KM#377.54
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
Dear Oesho,

Thank you very much for pointing out the error in the header. I have corrected it.

The dark area in the region where the date is, is deposition and in the past I have cleaned such coins, using a 3M silver cleaner to get a clear image. I will try my hand on this coin and see if I can get some more out of it.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"