Author Topic: Muhammad Shah, mint: Dar al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad, date AH113x/Ry.7. Ref.: KM#4  (Read 3911 times)

Offline kumarrahul

Dear Forum members, request your guidance towards identifying this coin.   If somebody can also read what is written on the coin.. it would be fantastic.  Based on comparing this with the photos in the catalog.. the closest approximation as per my limited understanding is to the 1 Rupee coin of Bengal Presidency, 1813, KM#69.  Would appreciate your views.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:52:47 AM by asm »

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Unidentified coin
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:52:59 PM »
It is a rupee in the name of Muhammad Shah, mint: Dar al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad, date AH113x/Ry.7. Ref.: KM#437.4
The text on the coin reads (from bottom to top):
Obv.: sikka mubarak sahib qiran sani muhammad shah badshah ghazi
Rev.: sanah (7) jalus maimanat manus, zarb dar al-khilafat shajahanabad
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:07:07 AM by Figleaf »

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:24 AM »
Thanks a lot Oesho!!  This coin has been with me for the past 25 yrs.. and never got round to accurately identifying it... you made my day!

On looking up Muhammad Shah on wikipedia, the page also carries an image of a very similar coin with similar legend.. dar al-khilafat shahjahanbad.

AH113X would translate to approx. 1719 - 1726AD which is in the period of his reign (1719 - 1748 AD)..

Couple of additional queries:
a) What does Ry.7 mean in your response?
b) I do not have the 18th century Krause catalog.. could you guide me on the approx. value of this coin?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:54:10 AM by Figleaf »

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 04:58:16 AM »
Query for the administrator.. is there a way to edit the title of this thread.. now that the coin has been identified?

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Muhammad Shah, mint: Dar al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad, date AH113x/Ry.7.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »
kumarrahul , Nice coin in your collection since 25 years.

Welcome to WOC . You can always edit the post after login.

By using "modify" button at top right hand side to edit .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Regnal year 7 means the coin was struck in the seventh year of the reign of Muhammad Shah. Since his reign started on 27 September 1719 AD (13 Dhu al-Qidah 1131 AH), the most likely equivalent of year 7 is 1138 AH. However, the calender year does not start on the same day as the regnal year and there may be other irregularities, so the last digit in the date remains uncertain.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
For the dating of the reign of Muhammad Shah see this article.

Offline kumarrahul

Thanks Peter.. I did not know about regnal years until now... Oesho, the article link is a great read.. fabulous!

Offline kumarrahul

Just so that I (and others) as well who feel completely lost with such coins.. is it possible to guide us where to read the date on this coin, for starters. I am presuming that the numerals will be similar to how they are written on the current arab coins.. In case not, would need a guide on the numerals as well...

This came about because when I was talking about my Muhammad Shah coin with a friend.. promptly sent me a coin photo asking me to help him attribute it... Given my limited understanding, I was still at a complete loss with no clue whatsoever.. There is a fanstastic sticky thread on guide to reading akbar's coins.. would it be possible to make one for these as well?

Also, I have come across peddlers outside Indian monuments selling similar looking coins (not silver, though) and am always hesitant to pick them blindly.. hopefully, some knowledge will help here.

I will be posting my friend's coin in a separate thread.

Thanks again

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Here is the date.........
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
and the Regnal Year or RY............
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"