Free game of Putt Putt anybody?

Started by redwine, August 20, 2011, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwine

Try and stay calm people.  Feast your tired eyes on this little beauty!

Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

And here's its perfectly formed behind.  Hmmmm.

Figleaf

Found on the internet:

PUTT-PUTT TIMELINE

1954: Don Clayton creates the first Putt-Putt course in Fayetteville, charges 25 cents a game

1955: The company begins franchising

1959: The first professional Putt-Putt tournament is played

1960s: Putt-Putt goes international, with locations in South Africa, Australia and Japan

1994: Founder Don Clayton retires on his 69th birthday; his daughter, Donna, takes over as chairman

1996: Clayton dies

2000: David Callahan becomes CEO of Putt-Putt Golf Courses of America

2004: Putt-Putt begins piloting its new Putt-Putt Fun Center concept
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

Mmmmmmh.  That's the French version of Hmmmmmm.  ;D
I do love the history of crazy golf!
Cope with this one

redwine

And here's the other side of that coin.  Easy now!

Figleaf

It looks like they were designed, cut and struck by the same people. Do you know anything about where they were produced?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

redwine

I can confirm that Putt-Putt and Golf n Games were one and the same thing, G n G having gaming arcades attached.

Figleaf

Seems to be in line with the article linked to above. So this is a 2004 or later version. Now what can you tell me about this piece of 5.0 grams, 22.9 mm? And what is the contrary of a coin's behind >:D

Peter

Figleaf

Does it have the same dimensions as the tokens above? If so, they would have fit the putt-putt money slots...

The token seems to come from the same manufacturer again. Any idea who it was?

Peter

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on August 21, 2011, 02:43:59 PM
Does it have the same dimensions as the tokens above? If so, they would have fit the putt-putt money slots...

The token seems to come from the same manufacturer again. Any idea who it was?

Peter

No I don't know manufacturer. the Bird carrying the sprig of laurel is used on many of the Readers digest tokens of which there seems to be many, many varieties.
...a new research project appears to be looming.

Redwing maybe can measure his putt putt!  ;D
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

I've just dug out my bag of RD tokens 8)

africancoins

For all the different machines type in all the different places in the U.S. there are obviously going to be Putt-Putt machines that will take tokens with other designs on them. If it says Putt-Putt or Golf'n'Games on a token then it is one of that sort of token.....  that some other token (without those legends) with the same sizing exists says nothing of the use of that token.... unless it is known that those tokens were officially given for use in those Putt-Putt machines. There are manys thousands of different U.S. gaming/slot tokens and keeping down the number of designs and sizes keeps production costs down. Minters will have a range of certain sizes and a set of stock designs.

I have a number of the eagle+sprig // NO CASH VALUE pieces - in fact two with "RWM", one with "HH", one with "GDC" (one with no mint mark) - those are all mints marks of U.S. private minters (past or present)...  the eagle designs vary - even the two RWM eagles differ - but all include the sprig and this style of eagle. Sizes also vary. My eagle+sprig // NO CASH VALUE piece without a mint mark seems to be the same as Peter's.

As for Golf'n'Games and Putt-Putt...   I have three pieces - one as per the Golf'nGames piece shown by redwine, one very similar in design to redwine's Putt-Putt Plus piece (one or two slightly design differences and seemingly in nickel-plated-brass) and a smaller brass piece...

PUTT-PUTT / 1982 / GOLF'N'GAMES // PUTT-PUTT / NO CASH VALUE / GOLF'N'GAMES

All of my Golf'n'Games and Putt-Putt pieces are without mint mark. I notice Putt-Putt always seems to get an encircled "R" after it....  registered trademark.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

redwine

I thought these coins were only given out if you won a free game and not for use in gaming machines.  I may well be wrong.
Can I see some piccies please of your Putt Putt coins?  I have a few more which I'll post tomorrow when the light is right  ;)

PS Don't do dessert wine.  Bottle of wine then finish the evening with a couple of cups of tea.   Mmmmmh.

africancoins

When you say..

>>I thought these coins were only given out if you won a free game and not for use in gaming machines.<<

Which part of a previous message are you referring to ? Perhaps there was something I could have said more clearly - not sure....  please let us know.

Do you think that these tokens were used mainly in the U.S.A. ? Are all legends always in English ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker