News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Moghul Rupee: Mohammad Shah, 1719 - 1748: AH1151

Started by Rangnath, January 16, 2008, 01:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Hmm.  What fun. I can post images once again!
I've given a search on this coin.  I wonder if it is billon?  I can not find an emperor's name and need help.
richie

Figleaf

My candidate is KM 436.11 - rupee (if the diameter warrants that conclusion) in the name of Muhammad Shah struck at Akhtarnagar. Only the first digit of the date (1) is on the flan.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Thanks Peter! 
Here's another coin; nearly identical to the first. The sizes are diferent, but I think its the weight that matters.  The coin above is the smaller:  20 mm  but heavier at 11.5 gms.  The second coin is 22 mm, but weighs 11.3. 
Is the difference in style indicative of change of mint?  I'd guess not. What do you think?
richie

Oesho

Both coins are of the same ruler, viz. the Mughal emperor: Muhammad Shah (AH1131-1161/AD1719-1748). AR Rupee, mint: Dar al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad (Delhi). The Hegira-date is mostly of the flan, only the regnal year can be read.
On the first coin it seems to be Ry. 20; on the second coin it is Ry.11.
The coins bear the Sahib-i-Qiran Sani legend (the second Lord of the planetary conjunctions; which indicates an omnipotent emperor, a Lord of supernatural powers and was first used by the great Timur, the ancestor of the Mughal emperors)

Rangnath

The numbers on the larger coin appear to be 20100; a mailing code for Virginia, USA.  But on closer examination, I do see the "t" dotted with two dots. 
More seriously, thanks for the regnal dates. I do appreciate the information.
richie

Figleaf

On this picture, I have circled the regnal years Oesho mentioned, for the benefit of those interested but lacking experience with these difficult coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath