News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

"Amazing what people will put in parking meters."

Started by chrisild, August 13, 2011, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

This is not really about North American coinage, but well, it deals with coins and tokens found there. :) An archivist in Providence, RI, US discovered a couple of bags full of coins "in a neglected corner of City Hall's attic". It is quite surprising indeed what people, in the days of parking meters, would put into the slots. :) Just one small photo, but several pieces are described in the text: http://www.projo.com/news/content/CITY_HALL_COINS_07-21-11_RHP9PKK_v12.44b99.html

Christian

UK Decimal +

Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Ukrainii Pyat

I have a deal with a local bank in the USA that saves me the rejects from coin deposits by commercial customers.  There are several patterns I notice in the finds - lots of coins from the East Caribbean States, also Cayman Islands.  But quite a few of the coins come from Kuwait, Iraq etc. - obviously those coins are coming back with servicemen returning from posts in the sandboxes.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Figleaf

Obviously no rarities, but interesting stuff for kids and a good reminder of how a 12 year old is perfectly capable of identifying practically all common coins, even without a catalogue. I hope someone will ship some extra coins to the two girls to keep them interested in coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.