Commemorative €2 Coins 2008

Started by chrisild, January 15, 2008, 01:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: BC Numismatics on June 28, 2008, 05:55:55 AMI know of someone who has already got the Belgian 2008 commemorative 2 Euro coin in their collection.
Yep, I have that one too. In my opinion this is the "least inspired" piece among this year's "Human Rights" €2 commems, as they reproduced the logo and did not add much else. The Italian and Portuguese designs are better, I think.

Oh, and Finland's coin will have that theme too (no veterans of war). Looks very interesting ...

http://www.vm.fi/vm/en/03_press_releases_and_speeches/01_press_releases/20080625Twoeur/name.jsp
Click on "Image: The commemorative coin" to see a (pretty large) image.

Note that the press release refers to an Austrian piece - I assume they just mixed Austria and Belgium up. But who knows, we may be in for a surprise from Vienna.

Christian

a3v1

An image of the Finnish 2 Euro commemorative 2008 is attached.
It will be issued in October; minting quantity is 1,500,000.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Figleaf

As I was working yesterday in Brussels, my wife made the city unsafe. She came back with what she called a "funny shiny piece". Here it is, found in circulation.

BTW, why are the deuro's so horribly difficult to scan? Other coins do just fine, but these coins come out monocoloured blackish with shiny white. I futzed around for ages trying to improve the colour...

... and what are the two symbols on both sides of the country names?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

a3v1

Quote from: Figleaf on July 24, 2008, 10:42:55 PM
... and what are the two symbols on both sides of the country names?
Left: Mintmark of the Brussels Mint. Head of St. Michael, patron saint of Brussels.
Right: Privy mark of Romain Coenen, the present mintmaster. Scales.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Figleaf

Thank, a3v1. That mintmark is pretty old, but the archangel usually had curly hair and no cross on the stern.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Hmm, but that head, with the cross, is used on many Belgian coins. Now you even find it on the circulation pieces, but the collector coins have had it for quite a while. Well, usually it's so small that the details cannot be recognized anyway. ;D

Christian