Author Topic: Other rodents on coins  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Other rodents on coins
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 08:31:43 PM »
Yes the title contains the word coin. No, it's not a coin. However, it is an illustration of the subject and in similar threads there are tokens of the subject.

When I can shake off my old age inertia, I can get worked up when fluff is presented as coins because it mis-represents the status of the piece, but in thematic threads what's important is the picture, not its status.

In other words, I believe the pictures here should have been in the thread on crocs below coins, if there is such a thread. I feel old age inertia kicking in. :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Big_M

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »

Plenty of official ECU collector coins exist, which were issued mainly by EU countries, e.g. Ireland, in the 1990s.

I do not know about the status of the Irish ECU coins but the one issued in Belgium since the 1980s until late 1990s appear to have had the legal tender status.

Offline Big_M

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 05:59:27 PM »
I do not know about the status of the Irish ECU coins but the one issued in Belgium since the 1980s until late 1990s appear to have had the legal tender status.

Here is the link to the Belgian law (in French) withdrawing legal tender status to the Belgian ECU denominated coins minted from 1987 until 1998. This conclusively confirms they were legal tender.
Elsewhere, I have seen that the Irish stag ECUs, while having a basis in a ministerial decree, did not have legal tender status.

http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/eli/arrete/1998/11/26/1998003604/moniteur