Shah Jahan, Rupee, Mint: Bhakkar, AH 1067 RY 30, KM#235.7.

Started by asm, July 30, 2011, 09:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

This one is a rupee of Shah Jahan minted at Bhakkar in the RY 30 of his reign. I am not able to locate the AH date which seems to be off the flan.

Please help confirm attribution.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

While trying to reconfirm my reading of Bhakkar, I came across this coin on Zeno where Oesho has mentioned that the mint name was earlier read as Nagar.

I have one coin attributed as Nagar and will try to scan and upload a picture here.

Was it due only to wrong reading or some historical evidence that lead to the name being now read as Bhakkar instead of Nagar?

Is KM#224.7 a correct reference?

Amit 

akona20

Oesho

The mint Bhakkar can be clearly read on the lower margin of the left image.
See for reference ZENO #79407. The ZENO coin is date 1065/Ry.29 (KM#235.7). The above coin is date Ry.30. The AH-date is inscribed in the lower margin of the right image. It's not clear, but it might be ending with a 7. In that case it is 1067. Just verify it with the coin in hand.
There is a clear sequence of rupees with the name 'nagar/bakkar' changing into 'bhakkar'.  Particular the calligraphy and the writing of the 4 is unmistakenly of the same hand. See ZENO #56610(Nagar/Bakkar), 56609(Nagar/Bakkar), 56612(Bhakkar) and 79406(Bhakkar).

akona20

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my statement on what I meant because I perhaps misunderstood what asm was stating. In any case the mint name is there. I am really starting to enjoy these little challenges.

asm

this is my coin which has been attributed as Nagar....... Month: Farwardin. Is it the RY 8 at the bottom of the reverse?

The min t name clearly looks like Nagar......

Amit

Oesho

The Ry. is above sanah shown to the left of Jahan on the reverse.
It compares best with this rupee on ZENO.
After seen your rupee I question a bit my reading of the Ry.5, which seems to be part of Mah (month)

asm

Dear Oesho,

My confusion seems to be confounded as I go deeper.....

Punjab Museum Catalog lists two coins of AH 1040 with no RY,

Calcutta Museum Catalog mentions AH 1040 RY 3 followed by another coin of the same AH but RY 4. It mentions that there are three varieties for the year AH 1043.

SCWC list the dates of the coin type 224 as AH 1040 RY 4; AH 1041 RY 4 & 5; AH 1042 RY 5. Images of this type on Zeno are AH 1041 & 1042 both with RY 5. On Zeno, there is also AH 1042 RY 5 of the type 228 so AH 1042 RY 5 was surely the last date for this type of coin.

Coins with the date 1041 have the date below the Shah. One coins with date 1042 seem to have the AH date to the Left of the Jahan while one has it below the Shah (may be as a continuation of the date 1041).

But in none of the coins on Zeno could I locate the RY date.........

I tried to read the couplet / legend with the help of the two references that I have - Manik Jain's Couplets on Mughal Coins & Rajgor's Collector's Guide to Mughal Coins but both proved inadequate.

Can you please help with the reading of the couplet and the date (if possible?)

Amit