News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

World Money Fair (Berlin)

Started by chrisild, January 05, 2008, 04:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

chrisild

And here is the preliminary report (English version) from the WMF website:

"The daily bad tidings of economic crisis that continue to haunt the world in the media were far from visible at the World Money Fair in Berlin. 12,600 visitors – a slight increase on the previous year's figures – came to the three-day event at the Estrel Hotel and Convention Center, Berlin." More at http://www.worldmoneyfair.ch/wmf/english/press/index.html

Christian

Figleaf

tsm is going. He'll be at the Krause Publications stand. Don't forget to say hello to him if you go.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

The World Money Fair 2010 catalog is here:
http://www.worldmoneyfair.ch/wmf/pdfs/2010/WMF_10_Katalog_web.pdf

About 160 pages (the PDF file counts each double page as one, and thus goes from 1 to 82), and a 33 MB download.

Christian

izotz

By the way, the Spanish mint will issue (as last year did) an special blister for the WMF. You can get it only there, or you may buy it elsewhere at very expensive prices. There you would see the new set types and new conmemorative for the first time.

Bimat

Quote from: izotz on January 21, 2010, 10:04:29 AM
By the way, the Spanish mint will issue (as last year did) an special blister for the WMF. You can get it only there, or you may buy it elsewhere at very expensive prices. There you would see the new set types and new conmemorative for the first time.
So do you mean that the new series of coins and the commemorative will be made available for collectors(in rolls,coin cards etc) after the WMF (i.e. in first week of February)?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

tsm

Quote from: numismatica on January 21, 2010, 03:03:00 PM
So do you mean that the new series of coins and the commemorative will be made available for collectors(in rolls,coin cards etc) after the WMF (i.e. in first week of February)?

Aditya

Some items are released at the WMF. The German mints often have a new commemorative 2 Euro coin released there. The Media Forum at the WMF address all new issues planned for that year for the 18-20 Mints invited to speak. Many other Mint's attend with a booth or just for meetings. Last year I talked with over 50 mint officials from arround the world.

tsm

izotz

Quote from: numismatica on January 21, 2010, 03:03:00 PM

Aditya

As somebody said on the thread concerning the Cordoba Mosque conmemorative coin, they say that it is quite likely that the 2€ CC will be released by the end of January / February.

Let me quote Pulifil's blog :
http://pulifil.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/espana-fecha-emision-2e-cc-cordoba/
He says that his source is not completely reliable, but somebody addressed January 29th. Anyway, it will be available for dealers in Berlin and for everybody in February (the most) at Banco de España (Spanish Bank).

As he shows on the blister's post :
http://pulifil.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/espana-cartera-bu-world-money-fair-2010/

You can check it includes the new types, so they are coming soon for everybody (and available for dealers):

chrisild

The next World Money Fair in Berlin will be in late January 2011. The guest of honor will then be the Mint of Poland. More details next month ...

World Money Fair 2011
28-30 January
Estrel Convention Center, Berlin, DE

Christian

chrisild

World Money Fair 2011 - Opening Hours
Thursday 27 Jan: see below
Friday 28 Jan: 10-18 h
Sat 29 Jan: 10-18 h
Sun 30 Jan: 10-16 h

Tickets
Tageskarte (one day): €7
Dauerkarte (all days): €10

On 27 Jan, the day before the official opening, there is the Technical Forum (for professional visitors only) and Künker's Berlin auctions. More about the auction: https://www.kuenker.de/Unsere_Auktionen_en.kuenker

Vistors get a free catalog/show guide which can also be downloaded here:
http://www.worldmoneyfair.ch/wmf/pdfs/2011/WMF_2011_Messekatalog.pdf
(PDF, 160 pages, about 18 MB)

Christian

tsm

Krause Publications - F+W Media will be at the WMF again this year, so please stop by our booth on the main floor. Dave Harper, Lisa Bellavin, Scott Tappa and Tom Michael will all be at the fair, but many meetings and events are already planned, so we will each be here, there and everywhere through the fair dates.  :)

Figleaf

I liked the catalogue ad that said people never read the ads in the catalogue so the company saved itself the trouble to make an ad :D

Have you noticed that only two companies actually showed older coins in their ad (KP being one of them?) The impression I get from the catalogue is that all that matters is who can make the weirdest pseudo-coins in the shortest possible time. No wonder Poland is the guest of honour.

Sorry, Tom. I won't come to Berlin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

tsm

Sorry I won't see you there Peter, but I understand!
WMF is almost exclusively a new issues coin show. The main bouse is all mints, banks, presses, blank makers and packing people for the most part, but there are peripheral areas of the bourse which house many auction houses and standard dealers of classic coinage. It's a large show by anyones standards I think!

chrisild

Won't go there either, but keep in mind that the World Money fair is a combination of several "elements". It is, on one hand, a classical coin show with lots of dealers - see the directory on p. 74-79 of the PDF file - who will of course not sell new issues only.

On the other hand, and that makes the show different from many others, various mints use the occasion to showcase their new issues. And sure, most catalog pages reflect that.

And then there are other parts such as the presentations (can basically be attended by anybody), workshops (pros only) or the Künker auctions. Don't judge a book by its cover - and don't judge the WMF by the "book". ;)

Christian

izotz

My wife was quite surprised when I suggested we could have a touristic trip to Berlin in January. "Too cold, isn't it? We could go in Spring...". She accepted anyway.
He understood the trick when I told her after we had the reservation that, casually, there was a numismatic fair those days.  ;D
@chrisild : thank you for the link. I had visited the official website but I had missed the catalog.
@tsm : you can bet I will have a look at your booth.  :)
@Figleaf : it's true that a coin collector would like older coins too to be shown. But in my case, I don't have that kind of fairs near here (Spain). At least, not in that way and size. So I have the curiosity to visit that event to have an idea of it. I don't think I will buy any pseudo-coin, but it may be interesting for me to buy a few circulation coin rolls (I suppose you can buy them there) and share them with other friends, as we will have no shipping expenses. I will have a look at new issues. And of course, I nice visit to Berlin, so that my wife will not complain about it!  ;D

tsm

@izotz - when you stop by the KP booth, if I'm not there, please ask for me and mention your WofC user name. I will leave a little present for you under the counter.  :)