News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

World Money Fair (Berlin)

Started by chrisild, January 05, 2008, 04:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Figleaf

It's just a bit too far and too dominated by pseudo coin floggers for me, though I do enjoy the atmosphere of Berlin (and even more, Potsdam).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Well, I won't go - don't have time for an extended visit, and from here Berlin is too far away for a half-day trip. (Amsterdam, Brussels, even Paris would be closer ... :) ) For people who live in Eastern Germany, or at least somewhat near Berlin, it will be nice - you can buy a Coin Pass for example, and then collect pieces from 30 different countries at the WMF booths of the participating mints.

What makes the WMF interesting is not just its sheer size ("biggest coin show in the world") but the mix. As mentioned in previous posts here, there are dealers, mints, auctions, technical forums, and so on. Not everything is open to the general public, and not everything that can be seen or bought there will be interesting for everybody. ;)

Christian

Figleaf

Good point, Christian. If it's big enough you see what you want to see and shrug at the rest. However, I can't help being irritated by the coin floggers, as I think they give the hobby a bad reputation and guide novice collectors away from cheap but interesting stuff.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

What can you expect from a show where the mints of the world (well, many of them) get together and present their new products? ;D And if you make a company such as the Royal Canadian Mint this year's Guest of Honor, you can guess they won't primarily showcase their circulation 5 and 10 cents ...

Then again, this coin pass that I mentioned is actually aimed at young collectors (and those who are young at heart): You pay €10 for the booklet or album, and then get freebies from various mints. Nice way to start or enhance a collection.

Münzen Revue (a German coin magazine) does something similarly neat - subscribers get a mini blister pack with every issue. Each pack contains three coins, average "world" pieces. And although I am not quite sure who they aim at (most subscribers will be specialized in one way or another), it's fun to get and look at them.

Christian

BC Numismatics

Quote from: AussieBoy on January 26, 2008, 07:02:07 PM
Is any other Forum member going to this in Berlin?

Both the Royal Australian Mint and the Perth Mint will have stands there and they usually produce some specially marked packaged coins or sets for the event which they do not market back here in Australia.

Australia's largest coin dealership, Downies will also be there. They usually buy up the excess from the RAM and Perth Mint stands and sell them off back here for a premium.

Wayne

Wayne,
  My boss,John Eccles,is the only one from over here in New Zealand who will be having a stand at Berlin.He will also be the only dealer with the new banknotes from Tonga that have been out since the 21st. of January.

Aidan.

africancoins

Surely he can only hope to be the only dealer there with the new Tongan banknotes.

There is currently a U.S. based dealer offering the new 100 Pa'anga notes (2 available in a buy-it-now sale).

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

BC Numismatics

Quote from: africancoins on February 06, 2009, 12:16:17 AM
Surely he can only hope to be the only dealer there with the new Tongan banknotes.

There is currently a U.S. based dealer offering the new 100 Pa'anga notes (2 available in a buy-it-now sale).

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Paul,
  These are the notes from 1 Pa'anga right up to the 50 Pa'anga.The 100 Pa'anga came out the day before King George Topou V's coronation at the end of July last year.

Aidan.

Bimat

Hi Aidan,
So what did your Boss get for you at Berlin? Got the coins from your want list???
Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  I've emailed him twice,but,unlike him,I haven't had a reply yet.

I'm hoping that he has at least got me those E.M.U. commemorative 2 Euros from Cyprus,Ireland,& Malta.

Aidan.

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  All my boss got for me from my lists was the British 2008 coins with the new reverse - 1 Penny to 1 Pound.

He did bring back some Zimbabwean notes,including the $50,000,000,$200,000,000,& $500,000,000 notes from the last issue,which is now in the process of being withdrawn,due to the recent so-called 'currency reform'.I was also given one of each of these 3 notes.He & I are going to negotiate over a price for the $100,000,000,000 Agro-Cheque,whose prices have come down a lot in the international market place.

He is going to be looking out for at least the E.M.U. commemorative 2 Euros from Cyprus,Ireland,& Malta when he is attending the show in Munich.

Aidan.

chrisild

The initial message of this topic has now been updated and lists the 2010 dates.

Christian

Bimat

Hi Aidan,
It is nice to hear that you got these coins and banknotes.Please post some photos as you get them.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  It will be a few weeks before I can think about doing any scanning.I'm going to save up some money in March to buy the C.P.U. & the pair of memory cards that are needed to go with the new motherboard,then I will be getting my computer's original power box rebuilt.

Aidan.

Bimat

Here is the link related to Berlin Money Fair,a short report on Numismaster.

Aditya

chrisild

Good story, thanks for pointing at that. Not exactly new for collectors here in Germany ;) and we also have a topic about coin collections in museums http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,198.0.html which includes the Münzkabinett Berlin. But it is always a good idea to make such "treasures" public - the more Internet visitors they have, the more likely it is that the site will be kept up to date or enhanced.

Krause/Numismaster now has another article about the World Money Fair. This one  http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=6234 is about the issue programs of some mints and central banks. Some interesting info but also oddball stuff such as "an Easter commemorative in which an egg hatches when the latent image on the coin is pressed between two hands and one that smells like coconut when rubbed" ...

Christian