Author Topic: Aurangzeb, Rupee, Mint Azimabad (Patna), AH 1118 RY 50, KM# 300.16  (Read 1108 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
This coin was sold to me as Muazzamabad. When I got the recent one of Muazzamabad and started looking, I realised that there is some difference in the placement of the date and the way the mint name was written. Is this a rupee of Aurangzeb, minted at Azimabad - the new name of Patna which was done in the last years of his reign?

The obverse seems to show that some metal has peeled off.

Amit
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:26:24 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Indeed it is a rupee of Azimabad mint. Also compare it with ZENO #30645 On both pieces you see also the 8 somewhat higher than the other digits of the AH-date.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The flaking is quite unusual. There seem to be deeper cracks where the top layer flaked. My best guess is that the coin was quite dirty and treated by heating and cooling it rapidly, a tried method to make a layer of dirt burst, because it doesn't expand and contract at the same rate as silver. I think this method could cause flaking, as wel as the cracks, if there were impurities just below or on the surface. This may have happened if, during the silver refining process, the impurities were improperly removed from the silver.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Thanks Jan for the confirmation.

Peter, I believe that you are correct as to the cause of the flaking. However, I am not the culprit. I saw the coin in this condition and bought it since it was described as being Muazzamabad (a not too easy mint to get). The coin does not seem cracked.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"