Matthew Dent

Started by Destrans, July 18, 2011, 12:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destrans

A recent one.
And again Google translator  :P

Matthew Dent

Born in 1981 in Bangor, north Wales.
He studied Graphic Design at Brighton University (2000-2003). After graduation, he made various stages in media companies in the UK and later in New Zealand.
Matthew has become known worldwide for being the winner for the new British coin designs, tender conducted by the Royal Mint in 2008.
He was awarded the "D & AD Awards 2009: Black Pencils" notorious for the work in the new currency system in the UK.

The final draft Matthew Dent, after production of the Royal Mint.

At the D&AD awards  

Matthew in the press

Best Regards  ;)

Destrans

United Kingdom - WWF 50 Pence

QuoteThe design presents a selection of 50 stylised icons that represent the various facets of the WWF – shapes that complement the WWF logo, but shapes that are recognisable at a very small size. If you peer closely, you'll see that the design features mammals, birds, fish, insects, fruit, seeds, trees and plants. There are also icons representing human impact; farming, transport, renewable energy sources and the home.

Denom. 50P
Alloy Cupro-nickel
Weight 8.00 g
Diameter 27.30 mm
Designer (Reverse) Matthew Dent
Designer (Obverse) Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS
Edge Inscription Not Applicable

Figleaf

Thanks, Carlos.

Some of our members are not too happy with his "jig-saw" design. I would agree that the heraldic character of it is no longer of these times. However, I do appreciate the innovative way in which Dent has connected the coins of the series. He makes the heraldics look less serious and more playful. Another aspect I like is how the 5 pence and the pound both provide a link that connects the pieces of the series. One for all, all for one, to put it in French. ;)

I would not be surprised if this series of reverses has paved the way for a new series of reverses without any of the heraldics and a very satisfactory hue and cry from the British gutter press. >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kena

Maybe if the Royal Mint released 50 pence coins that are part of the Royal Shield design in more years than just 2008, the public would like the design more.

Only year you can complete a full set all with the same date from circulation is 2008.

Ken

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Destrans on July 18, 2011, 01:00:21 PM
United Kingdom - WWF 50 Pence

Denom. 50P
Alloy Cupro-nickel
Weight 8.00 g
Diameter 27.30 mm
Designer (Reverse) Matthew Dent
Designer (Obverse) Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS
Edge Inscription Not Applicable

Oh great. No cockroach. Thanks God.

Destrans

One more
2012 - Charles Dickens

augsburger

The problem with dent is that he has only ever done flat things. Ie, producing easy designs that don't take much artistry and don't provide any beauty to any person's view.

Figleaf

That's true for the WWF and Dickens coins, but is it also true for the lions and harp on the UK coins?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

He just copied the royal shield and rearranged it using graphics software. If you read the behind-the-scenes story, you'll find that the Royal Mint's engravers did most of the work adapting the design for the coinage.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

SandyGuyUK

Maybe I'm being uncharitable to Mr Dent but the phrase "Money for old rope" springs to mind...  :-X
Ian
UK

andyg

Just compare the WWF clipart side to the portrait. the difference is quite revealing.

I wonder if Mr Dent's designs are cheap to produce, hence more profit for the mnt....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

translateltd

Maybe he could switch to stamp designing - you only need 2D for that.  Much of NZ's recent NCLT has been produced by stamp designers, or adapted from stamps, and the heritage isn't hard to discern.

jameso

Hello from The Royal Mint!

Interesting to read the opinions on Matt's controversial designs. I think he brings something new and different, but would he be comfortable producing the portrait of a monarch? Probably not...

You can find out more about what Matt thinks in our recent video interview. Questions were sent via Twitter and Facebook.

http://blog.royalmint.com/matt-dent-uk-coin-designer-answers-your-questions/

Figleaf

Hello James. Good to see you participating here. I agree he's brought something new and different, but is it new enough? It is probably too early to judge, but we can speculate.

Two litte remarks, just in case. First, we realise fully well that coins are designed for the public at large, not for collectors. Yet, that doesn't deprive us of the right to comment. Second, the comments above come from all over the world, not necessarily the UK, but they are all seasoned collectors. In order of appearance:

Destrans: Portugal
Figleaf: Netherlands (currently living in France)
kena: US (currently living in the UK)
Tanka: Bangladesh
augsburger: UK (currently living in China)
coffeetime: UK
hertfordian: UK
andyg: UK
translateltd: New Zealand

On another level, this thread is on a sub-board for threads on coin designers. You may be tickled by some of the other threads on the sub-board. Likewise, there is some good research on the sub-board for unrealised designs. Either sub-board may inspire you exhibition-wise or web-site wise, in which case, I am sure you can find support here.

Peter

jameso

Thanks Peter, I'll take a look around   :)