Author Topic: Coins in art  (Read 16952 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coins in art
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »
The picture is from the world's first encyclopedia, compiled by Diderot and d'Alembert. The original is not coloured. The engraving is not signed. It was probably done by Robert Bénard. For more pictures from the Encyclopédie see this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »
The picture is from the world's first encyclopedia, compiled by Diderot and d'Alembert. The original is not coloured. The engraving is not signed. It was probably done by Robert Bénard. For more pictures from the Encyclopédie see this thread.

Peter
I had a feeling someone would know something about the picture. Amazing the intelligence of the members of the forum. Thank you much.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2020, 10:07:15 AM »
This morning I found an interesting article on Academia.edu (in English) about the Quentin Matsys painting that was presented at the start of this thread, taken from the Nederlands Kunsthistorisch Jaarboek 1915. It was written by Joanna Woodall, and the title is 'De wisselaer. Quentin Matsys’s Man weighing gold coins and his wife, 1514'. It's more than 35 pages and counts 105 footnotes. Some interesting remarks were added by readers.

The article also touches the identity of some of the coins, a.o. a gold écu of Louis XII of France, but interestingly also a Sicilian augustale of Frederick II Hohenstaufen (about 1230).

If you want to study the painting, here on Wikipedia is an enlargeable picture. In the little detail I cut out here, the augustale is the farthest coin on the right.

-- Paul

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:57:15 PM by Pellinore »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »
With regard to the man in the pit in the engraving on reply 74, I believe there is a comment in Isaac Newton's papers from his time as Master of the Royal Mint to the effect that  many of the workers were missing the tips of their fingers!

Alan

Offline WillieBoyd2

• New
    • My website:
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »
The France Marianne-Rooster coin appeared on a French World War One poster.

France 20 francs 1912 Marianne-Rooster

French World War One poster with coin

The poster shows a French gold coin attacking a German soldier.
It was designed by Abel Faivre in 1915 and reads:
"Pour la France VERSEZ VOTRE OR" (For France, donate your gold)
"L'Or Combat Pour La Victoire" (The gold fights for Victory)

A work of art becomes part of another work of art.

:)
BrianRxm Website
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2020, 06:30:01 PM »
With regard to the man in the pit in the engraving on reply 74, I believe there is a comment in Isaac Newton's papers from his time as Master of the Royal Mint to the effect that  many of the workers were missing the tips of their fingers!

Alan
Both fingers and hands, Alan. Don't recall where I read that though.

Bruce
Always Faithful