Germany: Dispute Over Selling Nagorno Karabakh 'Coins'

Started by Bimat, July 11, 2011, 04:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Armenians sell coins related to Karabakh in Germany
Mon 11 July 2011 10:42 GMT | 15.5:42 Local Time

Armenians have put on sale coins that they have issued about Nagorno-Karabakh.

Tengiz Sade baron zu Romkerhall, President of the Central Council of Azerbaijani Diaspora in Germany, based in Magdeburg, has sent a letter of protest to Ebay, Emuenzen and Pfalzmuenzen companies operating in Germany to stop sales of coins issued about Nagorno-Karabakh.

A couple of days ago Romkerhall noticed sales of these coins on websites of the above-said companies and ordered them.

He said coins with a denomination of 1 and 5 drams and 50 luma had the words 'Nagorno-Karabakh Republic', in English, "Nagorno-Karabakh Republic' in Armenian depicted on them and a package had 'Nagorny Karabach' depicted on it along with brief information that Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Armenia and that Karabakh dram was launched in 2005.

'I didn't believe my eyes after I read the info on the coins. The actions of Armenians and their attempts to deceive German people and numismatists will simply increase tensions between the two countries. Such a 'dirty policy' is unnecessary at a time promising steps are made to solve Nagnorno-Karabakh problem,' Romkerhall said.

'In our protest letter we said that we, based on historical facts, will respond to those who distort history of our homeland, demanded to stop sales of coins reflecting false info about Karabakh and to remove them from the websites,' Romkerhall noted.

Source: News.Az
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Embassy in Berlin to probe sale of 'Karabakh' money in Germany
Mon 11 July 2011 13:42 GMT | 18.5:42 Local Time

'There is no republic named Nagorno-Karabakh and it can have no own money'.

The remarks came from spokesperson for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry Elkhan Polukhov commenting on the fact that Armenians have launches sales of coins related to Nagorno-Karabakh in Germany.

'There is no official body called Nagorno-Karabakh recognized by the world.

At the same time, the money they have issued is nothing but a useless piece of paper', Polukhov said adding that Azerbaijani embassy in Germany will be tasked to probe the issue.

Source: News.Az

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

UK Decimal +

I wonder if these are the ones?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAGORNO-KARABAKH-coins-set-7-pieces-UNC-/230581531758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35afbaf46e

If so, "Made in China" might apply!   Is anyone brave enough to purchase a set from China?  ::)

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Bimat

Quote from: UK Decimal + on July 11, 2011, 04:25:09 PM
I wonder if these are the ones?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAGORNO-KARABAKH-coins-set-7-pieces-UNC-/230581531758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35afbaf46e

If so, "Made in China" might apply!   Is anyone brave enough to purchase a set from China?  ::)
You are quite right, but I don't think they are made in China.

Aditya

andyg

umm, they are 7 years out of date with this one...
Made in Slovakia, at Kremnica.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Saving the picture before it gets deleted.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

They are lots of pictures of those sets online. I know the owners/operators of emuenzen.de and pfalzmuenzen.de, have bought from them before. Don't think they will stop selling the sets. :)  While I am not really interested in such pseudo-coins, people who like them should buy them of course. Agreed, it could actually be helpful to add a comment about the status of the territory when offering such pieces. Oh well, you can also get that set from various muenzauktion sellers, from joelscoins in the US, and so on. A lot of work for Azerbaijan's embassy ...

Christian

bart

Nagorno-Karabach is not recognised by any state in the world, but these coins are recognised by Krause: KM#6-12
I believe the Nagorno-Karabach section should be in "Unusual coins", rather than in the SCWC.

Bart

Ukrainii Pyat

There is no better attention than negative attention from a government when you want to sell something controversial.  All the dust-up will result in the sellers selling far more than they would have had the Azerbaijanis ignored them as a nuisance.

I remember a few years ago the Borat movie that made Kazakhstan got so upset about, until some people there watched it and determined it really didn't mock Kazakhstan nearly as much as it mocked America.  But all the dust-up about it made people want to see it, to see what p'o'd another government so much that they had to rebuke it through diplomatic channels.

Azerbaijan should have just brushed it off as a nuisance, instead of giving Nagorno-Karabagh the attention they crave.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

goossen

I've seen this set on Buenos Aires for 12 USD. I guess the price will raise with these news...

Figleaf

Quote from: chrisild on July 11, 2011, 07:58:00 PM
people who like them should buy them of course. Agreed, it could actually be helpful to add a comment about the status of the territory when offering such pieces.

Sums it up quite nicely, I would say, except that we are talking about a disputed territory here. If someone wants to issue a silly series for Friesland, Dutch sovereignty over the area is not in question, only the credibility of the issuer. When a similar series would be issued for say North Cyprus (I hope I am not giving anyone any ideas), the Greeks and Cypriots might be up in arms and they would have a point. Disputed territories are a casus belli and normally thinking outsiders should not want to stoke that fire, least of all for a handful of money. I'd call the series irresponsible and I'd like it to be relegated to the "unusual coins" book.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on July 13, 2011, 06:03:54 PM
. When a similar series would be issued for say North Cyprus (I hope I am not giving anyone any ideas),

Oh dear Peter, you are behind the times again,

http://www.joelscoins.com/new2.htm
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Ukrainii Pyat

Quote from: Figleaf on July 13, 2011, 06:03:54 PM
Sums it up quite nicely, I would say, except that we are talking about a disputed territory here. If someone wants to issue a silly series for Friesland, Dutch sovereignty over the area is not in question, only the credibility of the issuer.

Obviously targetted at a specific audience, notice the flags and what is commemorating.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Figleaf

Quote from: andyg on July 13, 2011, 08:28:57 PM
Oh dear Peter, you are behind the times again

:o Insert sound of toes curling. :'(

Also, I can assure you that the first language in Friesland is not English. English is not the second language either. The "note" did make me grin, BTW.

Peter

chrisild

We discussed this briefly in a German forum too, and Tom (one of the two dealers) posted the "status comment" that he put next to the N.K. offer - he says it has been there for a long time, and was certainly not added because of the complaints of this, hmm, baron. "Berg Karabach war bis Ende 1991 ein autonomes Gebiet in Aserbaidschan, der derzeitige völkerrechtliche Status ist nicht ganz klar. Die Aserbaidschaner beanspruchen das Gebiet, die Truppen der Republik Berg Karabach halten es aber besetzt." It is also quite obvious that these are not circulating coins ...

Christian