Aurangzeb, Rupee, mint: Akbarabad AH 1106 RY 39. KM#300.06

Started by asm, July 03, 2011, 11:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

I was recently offered this large (25mm) flanged, rupee of Aurangzeb, minted at Akbarabad. The date looks AH 1106, RY 39. I had some difficulty reading the date. The mint epithet : Mustakir al Khilafat?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

Mint and epithet are correct and to me your dates look correct.

asm

I asked this question as I was sold this coin with the date 1078 RY 9 mint epithet Mustakir al Khair.

Amit

akona20

As I am going through a pretty steep learning curve here myself perhaps another opinion might be wise.

asm

Comparing this one with this coin it is clear that the coin has Mustakir al Khilafat epithet.

However the comparison brings me to another question. The coin on Zeno has a heart shaped figure above the 'Gaaf' in the name of Aurangzeb. Another similar dated coin also has a similar looking mark. The coin I have posted above has a different mark? Any possible reason?

Amit

akona20

Interesting question and there are a number of possibilities. One is, of course, the die cutter exercised a little poetic licence in his work. Another is that they were produced in month 5 (a wild speculation). And another is that they represented the mark for a spcial production of coins.

Sorry but I have no real answers.

asm

Quote from: akona20 on July 04, 2011, 04:44:20 AM
........and there are a number of possibilities. One is, of course, the die cutter exercised a little poetic licence in his work.

An interesting possibility.

........and there are a number of possibilities..........Another is that they were produced in month 5 (a wild speculation).

If so, why in only this month? was the die cutter a new man inclined to some mischief?

And another is that they represented the mark for a spcial production of coins.

This appears to be the most interesting........

I agree that there are no easy answers. That is the fun of discussions here on WoC.........

Amit

Oesho

Mostly you find a date above the 'gaaf' of Aurangzeb. Also sometime below it. Nevertheless there are several issues were only a decoration is found above the 'gaaf' of Aurangzeb. Why? It's simply a guess. The heart-shape figure is found on a coin dated 1106/Ry.39, but also some years later also on a coin dated 1110/Ry.43.
In between these dates rosettes of dots (like above coin) may be found on this location on the die.
Initially the heart-shape figure is almost like a Persian 5. On the issue of AH1110/Ry.43 the heart-shape is more explicit.

asm

Here is another one with a different decoration above the 'gaaf' of Aurangzeb. The RY is 45 and I guess the date is completely off the flan on the obverse bottom line?

Amit