News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Russia 2011: Commemorative Coins

Started by Bimat, June 28, 2011, 10:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciscoins

Yes, these coins actually appear in circulation, even in Moscow. But not every day. There are two reasons why the prices are so high:
1) These coins can be damaged just by the touch, by one fingerprint. Of these 10 million no more than 10-20 thousand will remain in UNC grade.
2) The sudden increase in demand occurred a year ago, after the real mintages of bimetallic 10 roubles 2010 were published. At the same time the prices on monometallic commemorative coins also rose because everyone was afraid that their real mintages will also be low. And these prices didn't go down because of the quite high inflation: all prices are rising, and it became unprofitable for coin dealers to sell coins on the previous low prices.

Ivan
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Bimat

Quote from: ciscoins on November 05, 2011, 10:41:11 PM
Yes, these coins actually appear in circulation, even in Moscow. But not every day. There are two reasons why the prices are so high:
1) These coins can be damaged just by the touch, by one fingerprint. Of these 10 million no more than 10-20 thousand will remain in UNC grade.
2) The sudden increase in demand occurred a year ago, after the real mintages of bimetallic 10 roubles 2010 were published. At the same time the prices on monometallic commemorative coins also rose because everyone was afraid that their real mintages will also be low. And these prices didn't go down because of the quite high inflation: all prices are rising, and it became unprofitable for coin dealers to sell coins on the previous low prices.
Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense. No matter how expensive or cheap they are, I have to get them.. ;) (But I won't say that I'll have a complete collection of those, I don't think I'll ever pay €50+ for Chechen commemorative! :()

What would be the correct price one should pay for monometallic R10 coins, based on your experience, ciscoins?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

gxseries

I managed to buy the Chechen coin - it wasn't cheap but I didn't like a hole in my collection. Funny enough, I am missing a lot of holes but I knew I had to purchase it sooner or later.

Now I have to find a folder to make the coins look nice...

Bimat

These are the price quotes from a dealer for some of the 'scarce' 2010 R10 commemorative coins: :o

2010 Perm Krai: €19.90
2010 Chechen Republic: €49.90
2010 Yamal-Nenets: €29.90

So the total of these three is €99.70. ::)

I guess these three have a very low mintage of 100,000-200,000 (each) only which makes them SO expensive! :o

Rest of the issues are relatively cheap (€2-€3)..

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

ciscoins

Quote from: Bimat on November 06, 2011, 05:55:32 AM
What would be the correct price one should pay for monometallic R10 coins, based on your experience, ciscoins?

About USD 3 for the real UNC (without any damages, especially fingerprints).
And about USD 0,7 - 1,0 for any lower grade.

Also there were coin cards with these coins. Approximately USD 8-12 for each.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Bimat

Thank you very much! :)

The coin card looks great. Haven't seen triangular shaped coin card before. :D

Aditya

Bimat

Got some new Russian 10 Rouble coins recently :)

2010: Russian census (Bimetallic)
2011: Elec (Bimetallic)
2011: Solikamsk (Bimetallic)
2010: 60 years of victory
2011: Malgobek
2011: Vladikavkaz
2011: Kursk
2011: Orel
2011: Belgorod

Paid about $2 for monometallic issues, $3 for bimetallic ones, all are in perfect unc condition: No fingerprints, no scratches!

Aditya

ciscoins

Congratulations!

Sorry, I can't help you with the other coins; our postal workers check all the letters and parcels closely.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

augsburger

You're not allowed to send coins or they steal them?

I remember that in Russia you are not allowed to take out antiques, and that means coins from before the USSR existed or something like that. Is that right?

ciscoins

It is not allowed to send any coins or banknotes by mail. Domestic letters may also be checked, but not always; and for international ones that's almost a rule.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

chrisild

Problem is there is a gazillion of regulations - conditions of the postal company, national and (in the EU) European laws, and international (UPU, IATA ...) conditions that deal with what you can ship and what cannot be in a letter.

Here in Germany for example none of the "usual" carriers - be it Deutsche Post, TNT Post, UPS, etc. - will let me ship coins. Practically that simply means "go ahead and send them but do not expect to get any money back in case the letter does not arrive". Coin dealers will often use registered mail and have some third party insurance on top of that.

When it comes to international mail, things get even more complicated. Here is what Deutsche Post says about what is OK: http://www.deutschepost.de/ebooks/briefe_ins_ausland_handlingsbroschuere/index.html (pages in German) Valuable items can be shipped using Wertbrief (Value Mail) but on p. 25 you can see that the maximum amount depends on whether an item is easily transferable/cashable or not. Coins are "Valoren Kl. II", thus the maximum amount is €500 - and legal tender coins are not included anyway.

Also, since May 2010 the mail services in the European Union have been required to do some kind of scan with items that are to be shipped via Air Mail (see p. 43). Those "potentially dangerous" contents would not be coins, of course. But if the mail has to be X-rayed (or whatever they use) anyway, and round metallic items are found ...

Christian

augsburger

I used to fly to Spain and back with my coin folders, it was quite amusing when they went through the scanners, their first thought was "BOMB"!!!!

Bimat

Quote from: ciscoins on December 08, 2011, 08:19:37 PM
Sorry, I can't help you with the other coins; our postal workers check all the letters and parcels closely.
Yes, I've heard some horrible stories of postal thefts in Russia. I know many dealers who simply refuse to send  coins to Russia. :-\

I didn't buy these coins from Russian dealer, but they did arrive from some other neighboring Baltic countries. :)

Aditya

$$

New circulating commemorative:

"Cities of military glory: Velikiy Novgorod"

Samir
S
  S
     S