Ottoman 5 Kurush coins of Abdul Hamid II

Started by aristonazir, April 29, 2013, 12:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aristonazir

Here are two 5 kurush coins of Abdul Hamid II.

The first one was strucked in 1293/32 year of reign (1906). It's diameter is 23.5 mm and its weight 6.09 g.
The second was strucked in 1293/33 year of reign (1907). It's diameter is 24 mm and its weight 5.92 g.

Their thickness is the same. Until today, i didn't know that they had a difference in diameter. The first has a more silver look than the other. That possibly explains the difference in their weight. The second, even if it is bigger, it weights less. The second must have lower content in silver.
"Η πενία πολλών εστιν ενδεής, η δ' απληστία πάντων".
"Poverty is lack of many things and greed of all"

Aristotle

aristonazir

The first one

Aristotle

aristonazir

The second

Aristotle

andyg

I checked mine, the diameter and weight are consistent across all three.  On the available evidence I might suggest that the first coin in this thread is a contemporary counterfeit.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

aristonazir

QuoteOn the available evidence I might suggest that the first coin in this thread is a contemporary counterfeit.

Is there a possibility a contemporary counterfeit, even if it is smaller, to be heavier from the original silver coin? I have little knowledge in counterfeits.

Aristotle

andyg

Good question - and it all depends on who made it and why.
If these 5 Kurush contained less silver than their face value then even if your coins were slightly overweight a profit could be made.

One thing that's always puzzled me with this series is why the need for a 40 Para and a 1 Kurush when the two were worth the same amount,  this leads me to suspect that the 1 Kurush had less silver in than the equivalent value of silver content, else it would have been much more preferred over the nickel coin.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

One possible scenario is that the heavier coin actually has a lower silver content, but contains lead. This would make it slightly heavier. If you lick it a few times every day and you die, it contains lead ::)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aristonazir

Good, scientific way to find the chemical content of the coin. I'll try it systematically.  :P

Aristotle

africancoins

I would agree with andyg about the first piece shown being fake. One of many small clues being the sizing difference with the dating digits... then the colouring etc..

I have a year 32 piece.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

aristonazir

Aristotle