Goa Rupia 1840: Chinese fake

Started by Oesho, June 20, 2011, 10:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oesho

I just want to warn potential buyers for a deceptive forgery presently being offered on eBay. I have images of a few of such forgeries on file. See the image below. Take your advantage of it.

Md. Shariful Islam

Do these flaws indicate that the coin is fake?

Islam

Figleaf

I think you will find that all the fakes have the same die flaws as the ones circled in red. Since the fake is deceptive, it will be hard to recognize it in other ways. Therefore, this picture is a very useful way to prevent being swindled for an important amount of money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

When the same cracks or flaws, as well all kind of other small defects, appear on a number of the same coins you can be definite it is a forgery. For comparison, see the same (genuine) coin on ZENO and another fake. This last example show that a NGC holder is no prove that a coin slabbed by NGC is genuine.

lusomosa

Thanks for all the info. Oesho.
These coins always look so "old" that one needs to be aweare of the known fakes.

LP

Oesho

The seller or eBay seems to have taken action as there is a message now on eBay:
This listing (260803336632) has been removed, or this item is not available.

Figleaf

A skirmish won, the war is going on.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coinsforever

Quote from: Oesho on June 20, 2011, 11:40:36 PM
When the same cracks or flaws, as well all kind of other small defects, appear on a number of the same coins you can be definite it is a forgery. For comparison, see the same (genuine) coin on ZENO and another fake. This last example show that a NGC holder is no prove that a coin slabbed by NGC is genuine.

Original coin is elegant , fake is so ugly if compare to luster and engraving of original coin.

Thanks for posting such details.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Rangnath

I know enough to know I don't know enough.
We need as much of this kind of information as possible!  Thank you very much for this post.
richie

Quant.Geek

Seems like another one just popped up on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1840-Portuguese-India-1-Rupia-Silver-coin-/400471996884

and it is above the $250 mark.  Thanks to Oesho for this wonderful information.  I already informed ebay and lets see if they remove the listing...

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

dheer

Thanks for the post... Is this a modern fake or older? Any inputs on how we can distinguish them
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Figleaf

Quote from: dheer on April 29, 2013, 04:39:06 AM
Is this a modern fake or older?

This is a modern counterfeit.

Quote from: dheer on April 29, 2013, 04:39:06 AM
Any inputs on how we can distinguish them

See first four posts in this thread.

Peter

dheer

Thanks Peter,
Just to clarify myself, I am quite comfortable given a coin [of my interest area] I can identify it as a fake or real ... based on various techniques suggested in the post.

What I am not able to do at this point in time is having determined that a coin is fake, how do i determine if its Modern Fake or Ancient fake?
IE wheter the fake was created recently or roughly around the same period as the Original Coin ....
For example say a fake of Mughul time period, there are 2 possibilities, one that was created just after the Mughul period the other one recently ...
Or say the 1955 Two Anna coin of Republic India, there are quite a few fakes today ... 100 years from now, say in 3013, how would someone determine if the fake is minted/created around 2010 or 3010 ??
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Quant.Geek

An excellent question dheer as I am curious myself.  Given that coins where typically minted and valued in a base metal with somewhat of an equivalent value to the metal, I would suspect most where off-metal or plated...

Ram

PS: No luck with ebay or the seller and it just hit over $430...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Oesho

For the record the specimen from eBay has been uploaded below. It is clear that the defect in flan at about 5 o'clock has been removed, but other small effects are still present, showing that it is identical to the earlier reported forgery at the start of this threat.

Next to it a specimen of a genuine rupee 1840 has been uploaded for your perusal.