Author Topic: Preserving paper  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Preserving paper
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:32:26 PM »
Much is written about restauration and conservation of coins, but maybe the preservation of banknotes is more of a challenge. I have read often that paper is difficult to keep, may react with all kinds of chemicals (e.g. plastics weakener) and pollution (e.g. acid wind), will become brittle, may have been produced with bleached paper and the ink may be sensitive to light. What do collectors do to store there notes properly? Is there a site or publication that explains what to do?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: Preserving paper
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »
Depending on the country, most paper money is made with high quality cotton based paper. It is acid free and very long lived. It has to be in order to stand circulation. But there are mylar pages made for bills of different sizes. These are considered as 'archival' and as far as I have been able these are safe, and can be put in a binder. they will seal out most atmospheric contaminants.

Bruce

Offline arneman

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 08:26:39 PM »
I ask myself the same question, I have some German inflation money wich I want to preserve.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:19:44 PM »
I ask myself the same question, I have some German inflation money wich I want to preserve.
@ Arneman,
Especially the German inflation money often was printed on very poor paper quality.
Top brands of materials for collectors are selling plastic portfolios that are guaranteed free of acids and free of weakeners. Best to keep your vulnerable banknotes in those.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline arneman

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:19:19 AM »
Could you give me a website, or maybe a brand, so I could look up more information?

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:10:35 AM »
there are several companies, here are a couple in the US:
http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/products.asp?dept=101&pagenumber=2&sort_on=&sort_by= nad

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=20300&PCR=30000:160000:165000:165200

I have dealt with Light Impressions and know them well. When I was an active commercial photographer, I used a lot of their products.  the new polyester material would be the best, followed by polypropylene, stay away from any form of PVC.there is also a 'de-acidifer' spray, that will neutralize acids produced by wood pulp: http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/prodinfo.asp?number=127-PSAVER

Bruce

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 05:13:55 PM »
..... And for the European area there are www.importa.nl and www.lindner-falzlos.de and www.leuchtturm.com
Regards,
a3v1
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:52:20 AM by a3v1 »
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline arneman

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
That was interesting to read, thanks a lot!