Author Topic: Coin theft, please help  (Read 8188 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin theft, please help
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »
Then why do Indian mints take orders from foreign customers?

AFAIK, the order form clearly mentions that (this applies to Indian buyers too) mints are not responsible for postal damages or thefts. So if your proof set is stolen or damaged, you can't ask for a replacement. If it's legal to send coins/medals by post to any address in India, why don't they give refund/replacement? ???

And my point is clear: if you want to follow the rules, follow them properly. There's a big difference in seizing coins and stealing coins.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
Re: Coin theft, please help
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »
yes if one wants to follow rules one should follow them properly. smuggling coins is clearly against the rules so one cant file a complaint if their smuggled goods in turn get stolen.  advocating 2 sets of standards one for one's own vested interest and one for the rest of the world doesnt work in the real world. 

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
well if you are honest with yourself you will know that indian mints dont send out coins they send out medals so they are neither breaking nor bending the rules. 
(a) I don't agree that our proof sets are medals. The proof sets are issued after a proper Gazette Notification and they are made by an agency (mints) duly authorized by the GOI. The only difference is that the indent is not placed by the RBI but by the collectors. But I am sure this does not rob them of their legal status.

(b) I think by virtue of some obscure Act, ONLY India Post is authorized to carry coins & currency. Private couriers are prohibited to carry these items. On the back of the receipt of all couriers, it is mentioned in fine prints that live animals, explosives and currency are prohibited.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »
Dear Peter,

Our Post Office Act is of 1898 vintage. Rule 17 of the Rules framed under the Act states that:

17. Posting of coints etc. Coin, bullion, precious stones, jewellery, articles of gold or silver and currency or Bank Notes, can be sent by the Inland Post, only insured. By sending articles of value in unregistered letters or unregistered parcels, "the senders not only ran the risk of losing their property but also expose to temptation every person through whose hands the articles pass".

By sending Aditya's coins uninsured, Peter has exposed Indian postal employees to temptation.  ;D  ;D  ;D

This was foreseen by GOI 113 years back. It had warned its citizens 113 years back that by sending coins unregistered, you run the risk of losing them. So you see, our post office guys are not at fault. Peter exposed them to temptation and the poor fellows could not resist it.. ;)  ;)  ;).

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
I am sure he could resist anything, except temptation ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.