Author Topic: Coin theft, please help  (Read 8184 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin theft, please help
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
Most of the letters sent to India can be tracked here:

http://ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ipswebtracking/IPSWeb_submit.htm

If I track the code of Peter's letter, this is what it shows:

6/3/2011 10:13:00 AM   NETHERLANDS   AMSTERDAM INTERNATIONAL MAIL CENTRE   Insert item into bag (Otb)   
6/9/2011 4:25:00 PM   INDIA   MUMBAI AIR   Receive item at office of exchange (Inb)   
6/9/2011 5:03:00 PM   INDIA   MUMBAI AIR   Send item to domestic location (Inb)

Can someone guess when did loot take place? ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin theft, please help
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
Interesting Aditya, fortunately or unfortunately you know that a compatriot stole your stuff. So now you definitely know it is you who is marked.
There are chances that coins were actually stolen by someone at post office (after letter was received in good condition). Custom people must be handling hundreds of letters everyday and I don't think they will be so selective in opening and stealing contents of the letter. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin theft, please help
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
In that case, you should file a complaint... It that doesnt help, perhaps we can start a dharna outside your PO till your coins are returned. I'm free on saturday  ;D.  I'll dig up Medha Patkars phone no too ... She seems to have a lot if time on her hands these days lol
Good idea but I'm going to my native place tomorrow morning (to have some emotional relief lol ;D) so I won't be available for fast etc. You may go ahead. >:D You will be called Anna Hazare of numismatists if you succeed, if not, then Ramdev Baba. >:D >:D >:D

Aditya

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
Re: Coin theft, please help
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »

AndyG always mentions the contents of the letter as 'Plumbing Spares'. ;D That's the best description I've ever seen! :D

Aditya

I stopped doing that a while ago lest I get someone in trouble, since when I put numismatic items.
My post still goes missing, and again recently I've lost a parcel to India.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
I usually write something like Foriegn, Brass, Educational tokens.
Don't know if it does anything good or bad.
Dale

I stopped doing that a while ago lest I get someone in trouble, since when I put numismatic items.
My post still goes missing, and again recently I've lost a parcel to India.

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »
Yep... Quite right ... I had 2 experiences at the customs house, Ballard pier that starkly put the opaqueness in perspective... Well for me at least

well if you are honest with yourself you will know that indian mints dont send out coins they send out medals so they are neither breaking nor bending the rules. 

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »

I'm pretty sure oracle of all people would love it if the laws are changed. But the law is what it is for the moment. We swap at our own peril..., though the silver lining of course is the worst thing to happen is we don't get the coin in the end

what you kidding i love the way the laws are right now.  i dont want to burn my hard earned millions on coins if the law changed.  the law as is keeps us all solvent plus we have a zillion other problems here that need to be addressed first. 

BTW 2 litres of alcohol?  are you over or under 25  ;D

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 08:34:33 AM »

Lessons to Learn:

1. Avoid getting any metallic objects like Coins and Medals by Post in India.
2. But if you still want to get the coins/medals by Post, inform the postoffice before hand that you will prefer to take OPEN DELIVERY.
3. For this, you will have to give the request in writing to the Post office, before the arrival of the letter, giving full details like Tracking Number, country of origin, senders name and address.
4. On receipt of the letter in the post office, you will be given an intimation for the receipt by the Post Ofice.
5. You will have to personally collect the letter from the post office, after opening the letter in front of the Post Master.
6. Whenever I have adopted this procedure, I have never lost any coins/medals in the post.
7. It is no use making any complaint to Post Office. You will never get the outcome.

Abhay

well said

the only other lesson to learn is once you get marked as the address receiving valuable cargo the real fun will start especially if you get gold and precious stones.  anything not marked for open delivery will have a tendency to be adopted by caring handlers

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »
In that case, you should file a complaint... It that doesnt help, perhaps we can start a dharna outside your PO till your coins are returned. I'm free on saturday  ;D.  I'll dig up Medha Patkars phone no too ... She seems to have a lot if time on her hands these days lol

lol why dont you take the planned trip to mira road instead?  or come in the city we will have a much better time.  just a thought.

BTW i am serious about the city part if you can make it in the evening lmk

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »
I hope to make my own name one way or the other...hopefully not the way ramdev is currently doing.  But in the meanwhile, as we middle-class citizens always do, we'll vent out our frustration online and then go to sleep   :-[

you are a middle class investment banker and i am a poor retiree.  look at the hardships we have to go through on a daily basis. 

Offline beekar

• My Blog
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Aditya, I am very sorry to learn that coins, sent to you by Peter, have been lost en route. Please forget this incident. I have also faced it twice and you also know this.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
The contents of a shipment to Mumbai was stolen before delivery. The package contained a full set of 1 lats coins from Latvia (17 pieces). It is quite possible that the coins are still in Mumbai. If so, they will stand out. You will not too often find Latvian coins in Mumbai. If you live or visit there, please keep your eyes open for them. If you see them, please contact Bimat (Aditya) asap, please.

Thank you!

Peter

Very disappointing news , even though so many rules/regulations are in place but such incidences are happening very frequently .

Indian post  still not come out  from there conservative mind set  being a philatelist , I  have been reading many  misdeeds & experiencing such style of their operations .

Therefore hoping some resolution from India post is waste of time & energy.

Getting the lost coins is again a remote hope , most probably custom guys who scan these packages and have legal right to open and sealed it again they stamp simply and take out interesting stuff .

Pity situation !  ::)

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin theft, please help
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
If you look at the letter's journey, it was forwarded to the domestic location on June 9. So it should have reached Dombivli on June 10 or June 11 by latest. (My experience so far says that once it is forwarded to domestic location from air-port, it arrives here on the next day or a day after.) But I received the letter on June 13. Sounds fishy.

I really don't think that coins were stolen at airport by custom people. The loot took place after it was sent for delivery..

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin theft, please help
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »
....And India post does not allow sending medals (in fact any metal object) by post either. So even if you consider those proof coins to be medallic, it's still illegal to send them by post.

Aditya

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
nothing can be further from the truth.  domestically you can send coins and bullion. 

Insurance

Articles may be insured at all post offices. Insurance covers all risks in course of transmission by post . The prepayment   of   all   charges   on   insured   articles   namely   postage, registration   and   insurance fee is compulsory.  Postage stamps affixed to an insured article must be  placed   apart from   one another so that they may not serve to conceal injuries to the cover of the letter or parcel.

What article can be insured?

Limit up to which You can Insure

Registered letters,

Value Payable Registered Letters,

Registered Parcels

Value-Payable Registered Parcels

up to the value of INR 600 at  branch post offices,   

up to the value of INR 1,00,000 in other post offices.

Insured value  shall not  exceed the real value of the contents of the article insured.

The  articles containing gold, coin or bullion government currency notes or bank notes or any combination of these shall be insured for the actual value of the contents.   

Cases in which Insurance is compulsory

Coin, bullion, platinum, precious stones, jewellery, government currency notes or bank notes and articles of gold or silver may be sent by post only in insured letters, insured parcels. 

Insurance is also compulsory for at least the amount specified for recovery from the addressee in the case of all value payable articles on which the amount specified for recovery exceeds INR 100. (other than value payable letters containing Railway receipt, bills invoices, documents etc of no intrinsic value and value payable packets containing printed papers, books etc sent under book packet rates.) 

read more here

http://www.indiapost.gov.in/Netscape/Insurance.html

also this is for domestic post.