News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on "One-off sets from countries with circulation coins"

Started by <k>, June 12, 2011, 10:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Quote from: Bimat on June 13, 2011, 04:23:03 PMThey indeed circulated. My question is: Are these coins considered commemorative coins or just one year type definitive coins?

Back in 2011, Bimat asked about the three Cape Verde circulation sets of 1994.

According to Numista, they are all circulating commemorative coins - EXCEPT for the 1 escudo coin, which features a turtle. The 1 escudo coin is listed as a standard circulation coin.

The question now is, what exactly do all those coins commemorate? Which event or person? They do not - they simply celebrate Cape Verde's birds, flowers and ships. Since the ship are historical, perhaps that series could be called commemorative - but not the bird and floral sets.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

I have changed this to a comments topic and created a new parent topic. My aim was to produce a useful gallery topic but to maintain comments in this topic.

If I have missed any relevant sets (chronologically speaking) from the main topic so far, please let me know.

I will continue the topic later. More such commemorative sets have been produced in recent years, so they are becoming more common. The main topic will therefore serve a useful purpose.

See: One-off sets from countries with circulation coins.

<k>

Gibraltar 2005.

I have removed the image of the Gibraltar 2005 set from the main topic, because that set is not a "one-off" - it is not a one-year-only set. Most of the designs were continued for a few years after 2005.

I am also concerned also about the "India 2022 - 75th Year of Independence" set, because Numista said it was issued in 2021 also. Maybe I should create a separate topic for sets that were issued over two or more years.

Nor do I include the FAO sets in the main topic, as they are not commemorative. Nor do I include one-year sets that do not commemorate anything. Numista says that the three Cape Verde sets of 1994 are circulation commemoratives, but they do not commemorate anything. They show birds and flowers and some (presumably historical) ships, but no commemorative dates are given for the ships.