News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

One of a kind: Rejections!

Started by <k>, February 03, 2012, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Switzerland 10 Francs (2011): Bern Onion Market. Th only coin showing onions? ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

Bermuda, 1983.  >:D

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

*Sigh*. One more coin added to wish-list. ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

The Bermuda one is quite scarce.

Bimat

Bermudan coin removed from wish-list. ;D

Aditya

natko

Let's see Croatian coins. There are many corns, maybe vines (especially leaves), oak is common in wreath design, as well as the olive.

Nightingale is on "quasi-coin" from Somaliland, Thuna fish is also on Seychelles and St. Helena coins, Bear is everywhere...

But I can't remember seeing tobacco on a coin

I assume specific buildings, commemorations, events are not qualifying for the topic because they're unique by themselves.

natko

Quote from: coffeetime on February 04, 2012, 09:02:51 PM
Iceland, 10 aurar. The only squid on a coin?

This one has a squid. Does it qualify as a legit coin?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/elf-Falkland-Islands-1-Crown-2007-Fishery-Squid-/280798996882

I agree with you, same "picture" can be used on several coins, but not more designs. e.g. what if you had a series of 3 coins with toilet paper, I think it would be pretty unique :)

natko

Quote from: coffeetime on February 04, 2012, 08:51:23 PM
Malta, 5 mils, 1972. An amphora. Do any more amphora designs exist?

Greek 5 and 10 lepta 1912.

There is surely more than this example on a milled coin. They were very common on the ancient coins. Wonderful motif BTW :D

natko

Quote from: andyg on February 04, 2012, 08:09:12 PM
Here is a radio telescope from the same series...

Then we have Australian 1 dollar 2009, commemorating International Year of Astronomy ;D

<k>

I am sure you know that there are lots of owls on modern coins too, Natko.

Have a look through this topic: Birds on coins

<k>

Quote from: natko on February 26, 2012, 04:21:24 PM
But I can't remember seeing tobacco on a coin

You have a poor memory, Natko:

Tobacco

> I assume specific buildings, commemorations, events are not qualifying for the topic because they're unique by themselves.

Correct. Let's keep things sensible.

<k>

So, Tobacco, squids, owls and radio telescopes have been REJECTED!

Parent topic:  One of a kind

In the parent topic, our members post images of coins whose design themes they believe to be unique.

If another member proves they are not unique, the original post is banished to this topic.  ;D

<k>

Natko has rejected my Maltese amphora, because the Greek owl is also sitting on one.  :-[  :'(

natko

Kept busy all the morning with searching something for this exceptional topic, it seems almost impossible to make up something new on hundreds of thousands designs since last milleniums. OK, 200 years, we agreed on milled.

Conventional motifs are likely dried up, especially if we consider same genus of animals/species. Who cares if it's Grizzli or Polar bear... Well, lemon vs orange are OK in my opinion to be different as they're every-day fruits.

What I found is maybe already not unique, but couldn't find any other coin with ASCII image

Netherlands 5 euros 2008

If same thing doesn't exist already, it will surely be made soon.

<k>

Your reference to ASCII has confused me. I think you really just mean a design that is made out of letters.

Here is a UK two pound coin celebrating Charles Dickens. His profile is made of the titles of his books.