Hungary, Romania and Cyprus issue coins Treaty of Rome

Started by common sense, May 20, 2007, 12:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

common sense

Did you know that both Hungary and Cyprus also has issued coins 'Treaty of Rome'? Hungary issued a 50 forint coin and Cyprus issued 1 pound.

Description:
Hungary 50 Forint Treaty of Rome 2007

Designer: K?SA Istv?n
(Reverse unchanged: BARTOS I. P.)
Material: copper-nickel
Weight: 7.7 g
Diameter: 27.4 mm
Issue limit: 2 million pcs UNC, of which 12,000 pcs in blister pack. ?First day mint? 15,000 pcs in official coin sets of 2007

Cyrpus issued this coin in silver too:
Description
Obverse:
The Coat of Arms of the Republic of Cyprus with the words ????????, ?KIBRIS? and ?CYPRUS?
and the year of issue, 2007
Reverse: Design which shows the Treaty signed by the six founding countries on a background evocating
the paving (designed by Michelangelo) of the Piazza del Campidoglio in Rome, where the Treaty was signed on 25 March, 1957 and the nominal value of the coin.
Material curpro-nickel coin: cu-ni (copper 75%) and nickel (25%)
Material silver coin: silver (92,5%) and copper (7,5%)
Mintage quality
Silver coin: Proof
Cupro-nickel coin: uncirculated
Quantity
Silver coin: 5.000 in presentation cases
Cupro-nickel coin: 10.000 in capsules

Coins are sold out at Cyprus Bank. Actually, I think that because of the extremely high shipment costs collectors from outside Cyprus order never their coins directly in Cyprus :o

Rgds,  :)

how to lose your sense: do everything you want unprincipled and think you're the best.

Figleaf

I checked the Cyprus central bank site. This coin is not priced, so you're right that it is sold out. The power of the euro collectors...

Pricing does seem a bit odd. They charge you incredible amounts for each item paid with a SWIFT transfer and sometimes they charge you more for transfers within the EU. I didn't find the postage charges. With this sort of policy it is indeed better to get the coin from traders.

Good to see the coin is in Turkish also (incidentally, the Greek name of the country is KUPROS, spelled with Greek letters on the coin, of course).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Peter,the word 'KYPROS' is where the English word 'Copper' comes from.In fact,Cyprus was the largest exporter of copper,which were shipped in ox-hide-shaped ingots.In fact,the 5 Mils coin of 1955-56 depicts an ancient Cypriot carrying a copper ingot.The Cypriot Millennium commemorative 1 Pound medal-coin is shaped like one of the ancient copper ingots.

Cyprus & Malta are both set to join the Eurozone next year.The Euro coins of both of these 2 British Commonwealth & European Union member states will be extremely popular with collectors,especially British Commonwealth numismatists like myself.

Aidan.

BC Numismatics

Peter,you will be very pleased to know that the Cypriot Treaty of Rome 1 Pound medal-coin was struck at the Polish Mint,Warsaw.

You can find the details on the website of the Central Bank of Cyprus; http://www.centralbank.gov.cy .

Aidan.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on May 20, 2007, 09:34:39 AM
Good to see the coin is in Turkish also (incidentally, the Greek name of the country is KUPROS, spelled with Greek letters on the coin, of course).
Actually all the current coins from Cyprus have the country name in Greek, Turkish and English. The CY euro coins, however, just use Greek and Turkish.

By the way, the coin from Hungary is a circulating commem. The one from Cyprus was issued at quite a bit more than face value. A third piece - which I think has not been mentioned in this context yet - is the Romanian 10 Lei coin: silver, proof only, mintage 500 (which is pretty normal, if not quite a lot, for RO commems). Basically the same Treaty/Campidoglio design as the other pieces, and a map of Europe on the other side. That one cannot be had at face either. Here is the press release (no picture though): http://www.bnr.ro/en/Press/E20070509num.htm

Christian

Figleaf

While the press release talks about a silver 10 lei, the list of issues mentions only a gold 500 lei (number 60).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Christian,I can guess that Cyprus has reached back to the 1963-81 Mils coins,in the sense that these Mils coins were inscribed only in Greek & Turkish,for an influence on the Cypriot Euro coins.

It is a pity that we don't know a friendly Cypriot coin dealer.If we did,we could get them to go into the Central Bank of Cyprus in Nicosia to buy up the commemorative medal-coin issues.

Aidan.

chrisild

Peter: Those are two different issues; the gold coin is dedicated to Romania joining the European Union while the silver piece is about the Treaty of Rome anniversary. Oddly enough, only that 100 lei coin is listed/depicted at the Romanian Mint's website: http://www.monetariastatului.ro/com2007.html

Ah, found the images of that Romanian ToR coin again ...
http://www.casimages.com/img/jpg/0706100439337464682096.jpg
http://www.casimages.com/img/jpg/0706100439507464682097.jpg

Aidan: Right, the way the central bank in Cyprus sells these coins is almost deterring. I got my ?1 ToR coin from a dealer here in Germany, and I also have the Hungarian one. But the Romanian coin is ... well, not terribly expensive but definitely more than I would pay.

Christian

BC Numismatics

Christian,
  That's a very nice Romanian 10 Lei medal-coin that you have got there.Did you end up getting the Hungarian Treaty of Rome coin? I still haven't found anyone in Cyprus who would have the Cypriot one at a reasonable price.

Aidan.

chrisild

Yes, I did get the pieces from Hungary (pretty inexpensive) and Cyprus. I actually mentioned that in my previous post, but the £ sign turned into a question mark during some forum software update. :) Cyprus was more expensive indeed; €12 or so IIRC for the copper-nickel version.

Did not buy the Cyprus silver version, and I do not have the Romanian coin either. Found them too expensive, and still have the same opinion ...

Christian

BC Numismatics

Christian,
  It was only the Cypriot Unc. Treaty of Rome 1 Pound that I was really interested in getting.

Aidan.