News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bovril tokens

Started by bagerap, December 23, 2011, 01:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

I'm sure that someone knows how many varieties exist for Bovril. I have these three:

and also one for Victoria's Diamond Jubilee hiding in a drawer somewhere.

Will I be looking for dozens more to complete the set? I do hope not too many.

Thanks,

Bob

malj1

I can only add the one issued for Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

'Stimulated' to see the first 'stimulating' one that I had been unaware of previously, I do have the other two.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

Back in the early 1970's Neil Todd made a listing, followed by a second edition in 1979:- British & Irish tokens, Advertising Tickets, Checks, Passes &c Ca 1830 - 1920.

From that listing we have these varieties [see below] and one other - Bovril - Johnston's Fluid Beef Company in copper.

I feel they are all in brass and possibly some were darkened as were the farthings at that time, I have five that all appear as copper - but two poor specimens I have of the 'Diamond Jubilee' show brass when the edge is scraped; whereas your others shown above do appear to be brass.

Malcolm

bagerap

Thanks Malcolm. I've never seen the Fluid Beef Company piece butaccept that I'll have to find it to complete the set. And maybe the different die and metal pieces.
It keeps an old man occupied.

malj1

I'll add my other two pieces just to show the different 'colour'

Are they brass or copper? I wonder.
Malcolm

FosseWay

I have the French-language one as well, and I've classified it as bronze rather than brass on the basis of the colour.

malj1

Quote from: bagerap on December 26, 2011, 11:28:07 AM
Thanks Malcolm. I've never seen the Fluid Beef Company piece butaccept that I'll have to find it to complete the set. And maybe the different die and metal pieces.
It keeps an old man occupied.

I have found a metal-detectorist's offering... a good space filler! so now we know what it looks like.

BOVRIL JOHNSTON'S FLUID BEEF BRAND OFFICES 30 FARRINGDON ST LONDON

1 OUNCE MORE NOURISHING THAN 50 OF LIEBIG EXTRACT BOVILLO OR BEEF

Looks like they are asking for a lawsuit if it were today!
Malcolm

redwine

Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Australia was barred from the bidding - I contacted seller who knew there was a problem, but eBay said it was alright - so nothing he could do.

At best I could only save the pictures.
Malcolm

andyg

Quote from: malj1 on February 03, 2012, 09:41:17 PM
Australia was barred from the bidding - I contacted seller who knew there was a problem, but eBay said it was alright - so nothing he could do.

At best I could only save the pictures.

That's because he had his postage set to United Kingdom only....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

malj1

Quote from: andyg on February 03, 2012, 11:46:23 PM
That's because he had his postage set to United Kingdom only....

I must remember to add that remark to my request next time!
...previously I have been successful in getting acceptance.

I saw one lot today with £450 postage - seller says should be £4.50 but he cannot change after posting!  ???
Malcolm

andyg

There is some rule that means after the item has bids or ends within xx hours you cannot change the aucton or conditions.  There is also the possibility that the seller is a complete numpty.

Drop me a PM if you ever want me to bid on a UK only auction!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

malj1

Quote from: andyg on February 04, 2012, 12:17:33 AM
There is some rule that means after the item has bids or ends within xx hours you cannot change the aucton or conditions.  There is also the possibility that the seller is a complete numpty.

Drop me a PM if you ever want me to bid on a UK only auction!

Thank you! The thought of asking someone here did in fact cross my mind as I was rather keen on this one.

'after the item has bids'  ...he did mention this was the reason.
Malcolm

malj1

One further variety of Bovril token is shown in Food Numismatica of Australia by George N Shea

It reads... BO_VRIL ℞. JOHNSTON'S FLUID BEEF COMPANY 10 TRINITY SQRE TOWER HILL LONDON 20.8mm Æ

Like many other tokens the Bovril tokens were of course also exported for use in the colonies.
Malcolm

malj1

Another from the above book that I missed previously, presumably also a souvenir of the Diamond Jubilee.

Obverse BOVRIL ℞. 50 TIMES MORE NOURISHING THAN ORDINARY EXTRACT OF MEAT OR BEEF TEA; Brass, 28.5mm
Malcolm