News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Presumably British

Started by Figleaf, April 23, 2011, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

I have received a large lot of delicious tokens, thanks to a kind site member. Many are by now identified, but I am stuck with a few. I'll post them here, starting with those where I still have some hope. Maybe someone has an AHA! moment.

obv: in a circle of olive VENDING ONLY (3x) circle-wise
rev: in a circle of olive N 5 P within TOKEN VALUE (3x) circle wise

The token is 4.9 grams, 23.0 mm.

Because of the denomination, end sixties or beginning of the seventies.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

A british machine token - early 1970's (possibly late 1960's) - issuer unknown.

The "N" before the "5P" is for "NEW" as in "5 NEW PENCE".

A type I have likely seen on a few occasions and there are one or two other similar types.

Next... ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

Quote from: africancoins on April 23, 2011, 11:08:38 PM
Next... ?

A token with suspiciously similar wording, but a value of 10 new pence and a completely different stye. No brand name. It is 8.9 grammes, 27.8 mm.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I have both the 5np and 10np, and can add the following to the series (if a series it is):

Figleaf

That die with the "flower and bar" reminds me of the one in the middle and the one in the middle :)

Peter

malj1

Obviously a stock reverse - these are known with numbers or initials counter-marked on the tablet.

I have just obtained a similar one with FP counter-marked - I have yet to see the obverse! [bought with another that was my prime target]

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Another presumably British token. Both sides are the same. Diameter is 21 mm.

Peter

malj1

This is listed as Signet (Western) Ltd., Abercarn. as Hayes 347; I have another similar but struck in Cu-Ni which is listed as 347.1
Malcolm

FosseWay

So is that character in the middle an S for Signet or a 5 for the denomination? I had presumed the latter until you mentioned Signet, and I'm now tending in the opposite direction.

malj1

The catalogue says "S" for Signet, as I too have always believed it to read. No other types are known apart from those two.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Excellent, Malcolm. Thanks very much.

Peter