News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on "King Edward VIII: His Place in Numismatics"

Started by Figleaf, September 23, 2009, 01:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

How about a non-existant subject for a non-existant king?

Will that do ;D

Seriously though - are these not patterns rather than trials?
The brass 3d were trials - sent to machine makers for testing.*

*this may actually be an urban myth, it's another of those tales which is in every book but when you investigate very little official information is actually known.....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

Quote from: andyg on December 02, 2011, 10:24:01 PM
How about a non-existant subject for a non-existant king?

Will that do ;D

Seriously though - are these not patterns rather than trials?

Again you have a point. I don't know whether the silver threepence design was intended to be USED (remember, the silver threepence continued alongside the brass threepence for some years), in which case it would be a trial, or whether it was minted just to see how such a coin would look and wear - in which case it would be a pattern. But someone somewhere knows the answer.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

malj1

Quote from: coffeetime on December 02, 2011, 10:52:20 PM
Again you have a point. I don't know whether the silver threepence design was intended to be USED (remember, the silver threepence continued alongside the brass threepence for some years),

It used to be said the silver threepence continued for use in Scotland. ....certainly my Scottish aunt gave me some at the time, but maybe more likely for Malta and other colonies?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

EdVIII.JPG

Spotted on eBay today.
Malcolm

Arminius

As a baby:

Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee bronze medal, London, 1897 AD.,
Bronze medal with partial silvering (32 mm / 11,48 g), old penny size,
Obv.: FOUR GENERATIONS OF THE - BRITISH ROYAL FAMILY / 10. SEP.95. H.GRUEBER. 1987 37 SNOWHILL LONDON E.C. / CPYRIGHT , crown over busts of four generations of the Royal Family in centre facing left, the Queen and her heirs in the next three generations. Starting right with Queen Victoria followed by Edward VII, George VI and a very young Edward VIII, silvering at the queen´s crown.
Rev.: TO COMMEMORATE THE 60TH YEAR OF HER MAJESTY'S REIGN. / 1837-97 // THE DIAMOND JUBILEE , crown over three shields in centre, the arms of England, Scotland and Ireland, with legend surround.

By the way: has this issue a (eg. BHM) reference?  ???

:)

Figleaf

The name Grueber rang a little bell. Forrer seems disdainful.

GRUEBER, HENRY A. (Germ.). Contemporary Die-sinker or Publisher of medals residing in London. Most of his productions are cheap medalets, sold in the streets at a penny apiece. I have seen by him :
-- Queen Victoria's Jubilee, 1887;
-- Silver Wedding of the Prince and Princess of Wales, 1888;
-- Visit of the German Emperor to London, 1891 ;
-- Marriage of the Duke and Duchess of York, 1893;
-- Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897; "
-- Imitation Pond of President Kruger; Death of Queen Victoria;
-- Accession of King Edward VII. ;
-- Coronation of King Edward VII. ;
-- Lactopeptine token (" Patent ") ; &c.
These medalets are made in papier mache covered over with a shell struck in thin metal. Some of the medalets are signed H. G. & Co.

However, there is also a Herbert Appold Grueber (1846-1927), a very serious numismatist with a great liking of medals. He became keeper of the Department of Coins and Medals of the British Museum and secretary of the royal numismatic society. His writing includes:

-- Roman medallions in the British Museum, London, 1874
-- Medallic Illustrations of the History of Great Britain and Ireland to the death of George II, London, 1885 (with Augustus Franks)
-- English Personal Medals from 1760, Numismatic Chronicle, 1888-1891
-- British Museum Guide of English Medals, London, 1891
-- Handbook of the Coins of Great Britain and Ireland in the British Museum, London, 1899.
-- Coins of the Roman Republic in the British Museum, London, 1910

Are Henry and Herbert the same person? Evil twins? Family? Unrelated?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: Arminius on December 11, 2011, 10:38:54 AMAs a baby:

Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee bronze medal, London, 1897 AD.,
Bronze medal with partial silvering (32 mm / 11,48 g), old penny size,
Obv.: FOUR GENERATIONS OF THE - BRITISH ROYAL FAMILY / 10. SEP.95. H.GRUEBER. 1987 37 SNOWHILL LONDON E.C. / CPYRIGHT , crown over busts of four generations of the Royal Family in centre facing left, the Queen and her heirs in the next three generations. Starting right with Queen Victoria followed by Edward VII, George VI and a very young Edward VIII, silvering at the queen´s crown.
Rev.: TO COMMEMORATE THE 60TH YEAR OF HER MAJESTY'S REIGN. / 1837-97 // THE DIAMOND JUBILEE , crown over three shields in centre, the arms of England, Scotland and Ireland, with legend surround.
By the way: has this issue a (eg. BHM) reference?  ???:)

I have always dismissed these without much thought but now realise they are not all the same, mine is dated 1896 while the reverse advertises the patronage of the Remington Typewriter Co. 100 Gracechurch St. by Queen Victoria.

A huge Edward VIII collection was sold by auction last year at Spink's see here... http://www.spink.com/auctions/pdf/1019.pdf the first five lots comprise many of these Grueber pieces.

Epson scan.jpg
Malcolm

Abhay

Canada_2009_Edward_VIII_Copper_Medal.jpg

The Royal Mint of Canada has issued a Copper medal, commemorating Edward VIII.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on December 13, 2011, 01:58:27 AMI have always dismissed these without much thought but now realise they are not all the same, mine is dated 1896 while the reverse advertises the patronage of the Remington Typewriter Co. 100 Gracechurch St. by Queen Victoria.

Pearcys1.JPGPearcys2.JPG

found another type today on flickr - Pearcy's Toronto, 1897.
Malcolm

malj1

QuoteEdward famously refused to face in the opposite direction to his father on his coins, as tradition demanded, and insisted that his left side looked better in portraits. Was this purely vanity, or perhaps a desire to defy tradition?

Epa1178.jpgEpa1180.jpg

This coronation souvenir has Edward VIII facing to the right and wearing a crown.  :)
Malcolm

Figleaf

Yes, but the king had nothing to say about how he was pictured on the medal. The words "British Made" make it clear that this is a private issue.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Arminius

Just identified: a hammered copper in his name:

India, Jodhpur, 1936 AD., Umaid Singh and Edward VIII, ¼ Anna, KM 132.

:)

coinlover

Edward.jpg

Here are two coins (one kori and five kories ) of Kutch from my collection.

These are in the name of Edward VIII.

Anjan

malj1

S03560.jpg

A fantasy Edward VIII threepence dated 1936 noticed on eBay today.
Malcolm

Bimat

Edward VIII.jpg

Rare Edward VIII coin showing profile of monarch's 'better side' goes on display

A rare Edward VIII gold sovereign has gone on display showing how the monarch broke with tradition - by demanding his profile faced in the wrong direction.

Last updated: 21 October 2016, 15:50 BST

A rare Edward VIII gold sovereign has gone on display showing how the monarch broke with tradition - by demanding his profile faced in the wrong direction.

Edward thought his left side, showing the side parting in his hair, was better than his right, which featured a solid fringe, and insisted this was used.

He was breaking with tradition because coins struck following the accession of a monarch normally show the new King or Queen looking in the opposite direction to royal profiles on their predecessor's coins.

The gold sovereign - part of a commemorative set - was never issued because just as the Royal Mint was gearing up to produce a full set of coins the King dramatically abdicated, renouncing the throne on December 10 1936 to be with American divorcee Wallis Simpson.

At the time the Royal Mint's reducing machines were at work miniaturising the designs to coin and medal sizes and punches and dies for striking the coins were being made.

Coin production was scheduled to begin at 8am on January 1 1937 but was abandoned, and today all that exists are some extremely rare patterns and trial pieces including the sovereign, and a number of coins with private collectors.

Humphrey Paget created the coinage portrait of Edward and on one occasion when he went to have a sitting with the King, the monarch did not turn up and could not be found and a courtier reportedly said "this would never have happened in his father's time".

Graham Dyer, senior curator at the Royal Mint, said: "The tradition of the monarch's head facing in the opposite direction to his predecessor dates back to King Charles II in the 17th Century, so according to this tradition, Edward VIII's effigy should have faced to the right.

"Instead, Edward VIII insisted that his profile face left on the coin, so that the parting of his hair was visible. He thought that this was his better side, and that inclusion of the parting would break up what might otherwise look like a solid fringe of hair."

Following his abdication, Edward VIII requested a set of the coins as a memento, but his brother George VI declined as they had never been issued, were not deemed to be official UK coinage and had not gone through the Royal Proclamation process.

Edward, who was known to his family by his 7th forename of David, and Mrs Simpson married in June 1937 following her second divorce.

They became the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and spent most of the rest of their lives in exile in France, with the duke dying in 1972 and the duchess in 1986.

The rare sovereign has gone on display at the Royal Mint Experience, the Royal Mint's new visitor attraction in Llantrisant, South Wales.

Source: BT
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.