Two Gwalior Rupees: km 82 of Jayaji Rao & km 32 of Madho Rao II

Started by Rangnath, July 16, 2008, 10:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

The history of Gwalior State is a complicated one.  By the reign of Jayaji Rao, 1843 to 1886, Gwalior was firmly allied with the British and the royal Sindhia family had close relationships with the British royal family. 
In Km 82, an 11 gram rupee minted during Jayaji's reign (according to the Standard Catalog, the minted date was 1843 though this is absent from the coin itself) are the Nagari script letters for Ji on the reverse.
In Km 32, a 10.9 gram rupee, also minted during the reign of Jayaji, are the letters Ma. 
And now for my question.  Does the "Ma" represent maharaja, the title bestowed upon Jayaji or Jayaji's son Madho Rao II?  During the reign of Madho Rao II, the letters "Ma" appear on this coinage, so that seems likely.  If this is true, does the appearance of "Ma" on a coin minted during the reign of Jayaji suggest an unusually close relationship between father and son, or at least a relationship based on some degree of trust?  When was Madho Rao II born?  If the letters are indeed his on this coin, then the mint date must be after the birth of Madho Rao II. 
And if the above verbage gives you a headache trying to read it, I do apologize.
richie

Oesho

Dear Richie,
The top coin is a rupee of Jayaji Roa Sindhia struck at Gwalior Fort mint (KM#82)
The second coin is a rupee of Madho Roa Sindhia struck at Bhilsa (see KM#32, but its illustration there is wrong, should be listed under Madho Rao) Going through the recent 19th century edition of KM is realy frustrating.
If the coinage of Gwalior is puzzling you, you should try to obtain the book: Coins of the Sindhias, by Jan Lingen & Kenneth W. Wiggins (London 1978).

Rangnath

Oesho, you are a wonder! Thank you for the clarification. 
I did try to obtain a copy, but as of now, there does not seem to be a copy for sale on this side of the Pacific or the Atlantic. 
I will keep looking!
richie

Oesho

Rangnath

I ordered the book through Amazon.
I've been eager to collect coins of Gwalior and I look foward to receiving the book to help me make sense of what I already have.  Obviously, the Standard Catalog has limitations.  I would ask if they have been responsive to your recommendations, but I imagine that you have had a long history with them.
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Those are very nice Gwaliori silver 1 Rupees that you've got there.

Aidan.