News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bell-Fruit Games Ltd

Started by Figleaf, November 13, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

It is 22.6 mm and 4.9 grammes and both sides are the side. Looks like brass. The outer ring is lower than the central part on both sides.

I found a Canadian company called BFS, but it didn't say Ltd anywhere...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I have this one as well. I have presumed it's British because of the Ltd, though it could be Irish. I don't know what the initials stand for either.

malj1

Bell Fruit Services Ltd of Nottingham. Hayes 49A.1  [49A has the title in full with three bells and three arrows]

probably part of this....

Bell Fruit Manufacturing Co Ltd., Nottingham. of which there are 119 different types/varieties listed  ...and still counting.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Thank you Malcolm. I have three of Bell fruit now. Well on my way to completeness... :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Ah, OK. So it's made by the same people who made all the 'Bell Fruit Tokens' either side of decimalisation, of which I have several (6d, 2.5p, 6d/2.5p, 3p and 4p if I remember right).

malj1

Now known as Bell-Fruit Games Ltd of Leen Gate, Lenton, Nottingham, NG7 2LX

Bell-Fruit Games is one of three design houses, Bell-Fruit Games Ltd, Mazooma and QPS, with one manufacturing facility at Bell-Fruit Games, Nottingham. Bell-Fruit Games is owned predominantly by Kunick Ltd (the leading operator of amusement machines to the UK Leisure Industry) and Gauselmann AG (the German market leaders in electronic amusements). Bell-Fruit Games Ltd (BFG) known originally as Bell-Fruit Manufacturing Co. Ltd., was formed in 1963 and quickly gained a reputation as a leading designer and manufacturer of gaming machines for the UK. It was acquired by Kunick and Gauselmann in 1997. 1999 signalled a distinct change of emphasis when the company focused its strategy on the design, development and manufacture of games, concentrating on the design and development process. In line with this re-alignment of focus to creative design, the Company changed its name to Bell-Fruit Games Ltd. In the UK, the company is a leading player in both the AWP and Club Jackpot markets, and enjoys a reputation for innovation in both reel-based and video technology. From its established Nottingham base, the company develops new games for European and Worldwide markets, and employs around 300 people.

Source.. http://www.highwaygames.com/body.php3?action=show_man&id=462&pg=B&indexes=3&index=1
Malcolm

Figleaf

Bell fruit is a gaming machine brand. The token is denominated in old pennies on one side and new decimal pence on the other. It is 3.2 grams and 18.6 mm.

Peter

FosseWay

I've got a whole load of these, mostly with decimal only values. Will try to remember to post pics next week (am in Stockholm atm and pics are on the other computer). The dual value at least makes it easy to date!

FosseWay

All the Bell Fruit tokens I've come across so far have been denominated in British currency (predecimal or decimal or sometimes both) and haven't gone above 20p.

But I now have one of the conventional design with BELL FRUIT TOKEN around and the denomination in the middle where the denomination is 50 with no unit. The token is also rather small (18.6 mm) and therefore more reminiscent of the 6d/2.5p tokens. 50p seems rather a lot of money to be relevant to a slot machine in the 1970s at all, but especially so with such a small and apparently insignificant token. Apart from anything else it would have been very easy to forge.

Furthermore this token came to me in a lot of Swedish tokens, sold within Sweden.

So my question is: Did the company behind the Bell Fruit tokens make analogous tokens for other countries, denominated in local currency? 50 öre would seem a more natural denomination for a slot machine than 50 pence, but there's absolutely no evidence that this token is anything other than British.

malj1

The highest British values I can see in the catalogue are £4/10/- and £5 without a more thorough search. [there are about 120 Bell Fruit listed] I can't find the 50 in the catalogue at the moment but I do think I have a 50p, I see the 25p and there is one machine-engraved 100p. These higher values would be prizes given out by the machine. Jackpot mentioned on a couple of the £4/10/- .

I see listed..... 1 Schilling for Austria; 25,000 Y yen? Japan; 200 Kobo for Nigeria. No doubt others exist. The title Bell Fruit is in English on these!
Malcolm

africancoins

The "50" piece is Hayes-49.32 - I have one. A bit of an odd one out.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

FosseWay

Have just acquired a variant of this 50 piece -- one overstruck on a cupronickel piece of the same size that originally had a 'denomination' E and the legend Bell Fruit Nottingham Ltd around. I have both the normal brass 50 and the normal copper-nickel E tokens as well.

malj1

That is a very interesting discovery, I tend to dismiss the Bell tokens with hardly a glance as there are so many and I have about one hundred different already. I shall have to pay more attention.  ;D Paul also pointed out a new variety to me recently.

I don't recall having seen this 50 in Cu-Ni before either. There is quite a range of letters up to J at least - but omitting the 'I'; some letters are found enclosed in a small circle.

Here are the two tokens mentioned.
Malcolm

malj1

Many are found in both Brass and Cu-Ni here is another 'E' this time in brass.
Malcolm

redwine

Bell-Fruit Nottingham A & D

Same design obverse and reverse

A Medal aligned 2.75g 18.7mm 1.3mm depth
D Coin aligned 2.70g 18.6mm 1.3mm depth
D Mal aligned (betwixt medal and coin) 2.65g 18.6mm 1.2mm depth
(The D's use a different typeface as is more apparent when you look at 'Ltd')

Nothing like the size of a six pence (2.83g & 19.5mm) so I assume these went in to a token slot on the one-armed bandit?
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.