News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

R&W 6

Started by Figleaf, November 17, 2007, 12:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Quote from: dalehall on February 08, 2011, 04:15:37 AM
Here are a couple others.

PRW stands for Phonographic Ruffler & Walker, apparently the name of the company around 1970. The company address was St. John's Hill, Clapham Junction, London SW11.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Another here, Hayes 328.24, measuring 31mm; it is featured on the front cover of 'British Machine Tokens'

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Got one from what I presume is the same issuer: Ruffler and Deith, 10 pence.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

A lot more research needed here but there are obvious similarities between...

Ruffler and Walker. (R&W) - Ruffler, who was born in 1911,  began in coin-op when in 1934 he met Fred Walker, who was already operating a round of cigarette machines.
Ruffler and Deith.
Deith Leisure.
Phonograph Ruffler & Walker. (P.R.W.)
Phonograph Equipment Company (PE) which much later absorbed competitor Ruffler & Walker Ltd, which later morphed into Associated Leisure Ltd. and years later into Rank and currently into Gamestec.

Malcolm

Figleaf

Thank you, Malcolm. I have two tokens marked PE. One is brass, 21.1 mm, 5.0 grammes marked DUCK SHOOT. The other is a copper-nickel holed 3d marked VALUE IN KIND ONLY.

Peter

malj1

There are 38 types/varieties of PE listed in BRITISH MACHINE TOKENS by Ralph Hayes; so you are part way there. The DUCK SHOOT is Hayes 306.20, the other may be 306.18.

I'd like to see a scan of the DUCK SHOOT - I have several of the other.
Malcolm

Figleaf

You are being served.  You are looking at 21.1 mm, 5.0 grammes. Die rotation as indicated on the scan.

Peter

redwine

Here are some others

Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

redwine

Are these related?

Figleaf

See reply #10 and 11.

Peter

redwine

Quote from: Figleaf on November 13, 2011, 03:00:12 PM
See reply #10 and 11.

Peter

That's what I was referring to, badly. ::)

Dave13

Hi, I googled Ruffler and Deith token and found this post. Thanks it was very interesting thread and it answered quite a few of my questions in one place. I've  been cataloguing my collection of medals and tokens on line and I was looking for more information on my tokens.
Thanks Dave.
My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave

malj1

Quote from: Dave13 on June 16, 2012, 11:31:14 AM
.....I've  been cataloguing my collection of medals and tokens on line and I was looking for more information on my tokens.
Thanks Dave.

Hi Dave, I have looked through your collection, the first token listed 'Ace' is attributed incorrectly.

For some reason this error is perpetuated on Ebay. Perhaps the Cafe concerned had a jukebox that was operated with these tokens.

Ace is/was the trademark of ACE Coin Equipment Ltd, Ace House. Talbot Green, Mid Glamorgan , CF7 8YY.
Makers of Coin and Counter-Freed Amusement and Gaming Machines and Structural Parts and Structural Fittings Therefor

There are at least 14 varieties known, here is another that is not listed; ACE counter-marked TL
Malcolm

Dave13

Thanks for that all sorted and you have identified another token for me, the one with the dragon. I just posted in the forum for help identifying that one . Any more help will be appreciated.
Dave.
My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave