News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Music: Stringed Instruments on Coins

Started by <k>, February 11, 2011, 05:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

The current UK circulation pound coin depicts the Royal shield on the reverse. In the bottom left quarter you can see the harp, which represents Ireland.

The young would-be dadaist designer thought it was clever to cut the shield into jigsaw pieces and spread them about the coinage. You can see part of the harp on the fifty pence.

I don't know whether musical instruments within heraldic or symbolic designs count for you.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

An almost minimalistic design from Lithuania. :)

More info in English: http://www.lb.lt/music

Christian

ciscoins

Kazakhstan 20 tenge 1996 - Dombra
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

ciscoins

Ukraine 5 hryven 2003 - Bandura
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

ciscoins

Ukraine 5 hryven 2004 - Lyre
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

ciscoins

Israel 1/2 new sheqel - Lyre
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

ciscoins

Ireland, all the coins - Harp
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Alan Glasser

I have to tell you guys, you are doing tremendous things to my "coin searching" ego. I have every one of the recently posted photos, but PLEASE keep them coming! I'm sure I have missed zillion of instrument coins and I VERY much appreciate your efforts and taking the time to share your finds.

Just as an example, I found completely by chance, KM 67.1 under Haiti...bidding on it now but don't expect to win with my current budget.

So, keep the finds coming here and again, thanks so much for helping me out with updates and pieces I haven't discovered yet.

Alan   Massachusetts...goung to snow tonight...very early in the season

ciscoins

Ukraine 5 hryven 2006 - Tsimbaly
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

ciscoins

Moldova 50 lei 2010 - different instruments
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

chrisild

Here is one that cannot be had yet. :) Austria, 200 years Musikverein (Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde) Vienna. This coin is dated 2012 but will be issued in a few weeks, in mid-December. Copper version at face value, silver version is surcharged.

Christian

Alan Glasser

OK, guys...time to hit E-Bay.

3 coins I don't have in the instrument section of my collection. I'll have to wait a while for the Austrisan one though. I do believe there is an organ in the background on that piece. A must have.

Many thanks!!! All 3 pieces printed and added to the quickly growing budget draining pile of papers with "I need this" written on them.

Alan

Prosit

I will try for a copper version.  The use of Copper has me intrigued.
Dale

Alan Glasser

I generally try to go for the "best" of each type...and if the occasion arises, I even "allow" both composition pieces in my collection...but only if I stumble on a bargain. The markups for silver versions has gotten out of hand in many cases but I keep trying to convince myself that the better composition (wow...a lot of musical puns in this "note") has more growth potential so when my son inherits my collection and dumps it on E-Bay...hopefully it will get him a bit of a better return...but then...my new grandson (1 month) just got a U.S. silver eagle $1 NCLT from the USA dated 2011. I am hoping that will start him on the collecting path..if not...I HAVE to find a way to take my collection WiTH ME when I depart...because I don't WANT to see it on E-Bay.    ;D 

Alan   MA...snowing like crazy...supposed to lose power this evening because of the high winds, heavy snow and leaves still on the trees

chrisild

In early January, Poland will issue two coins - one commem available at face, one collector coin - dedicated to the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity (WOŚP). They bring music and medical help together. :)

The coins: http://www.nbp.pl/homen.aspx?f=/en/banknoty/kolekcjonerskie/2012.html
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Orchestra_of_Christmas_Charity
Official WOŚP site (English version): http://www.en.wosp.org.pl/

Christian