Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of The Isle of Man"

Started by <k>, October 14, 2011, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

If anyone is wondering why the 2000 dated coins have the mintmark 'PMM' - it stands for Pobjoy Mint Milennium.....  From 2001 they went back to using 'PM'.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

At last I have finished my marathon topic. I have largely ignored mintmarks and metal changes, as they are not in my area of interest. I find it quite scandalous that the Isle of Man has not issued a new design series since 2004, which is now in the dim and distant past. No wonder people are rioting all over the world! I can only assume that the Manx authorities know something about 2012 that we don't.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

andyg

I always liked this one,

I never know if the spear is horizontal (as in this scan) or droopy as in the scan in the thread.

andyg

<k>

Agreed. The designs from the Isle of Man cover the whole range from the sublime to the ridiculous, so there's something for everyone.

I've been wondering when Mann severed its relationship with the Pobjoy Mint, as I believe its designs are now done by another mint - perhaps the Tower Mint? I'm also interested in the fact that some of the British dependencies, e.g. Mann and the Falkland Islands, have used a different portrait of the Queen for their some of their commemoratives. I know that when Raphael Maklouf created his effigy of 1985, he also created another one that showed the Queen wearing a cloak over her shoulders, to be reserved for special numismatic occasions. After Ian Rank Broadley released his new mature effigy of the Queen in 1998, Raphael Maklouf came up with a somewhat similar updated one, but again it showed the Queen with a cloak draped over her shoulders, and I've noticed this used on the collector issues of the British Antarctic Territory and others.

I think a timescale of who, among those tiny British territories that issue collector coins, has used what mints from the 1980s onwards would be useful, though I don't know enough about it to do it myself.

andyg

Quote from: coffeetime on October 16, 2011, 05:44:27 PM

I've been wondering when Mann severed its relationship with the Pobjoy Mint, as I believe its designs are now done by another mint - perhaps the Tower Mint?

Isle of Man still use Pobjoy Mint?
The 2011 coins have the PM mintmark.

A brief list for you (circulation coins)
Falkland Is : Royal Mint (apart from the 2007 commemorative 50p which was Pobjoy mint)
Gibraltar : Pobjoy Mint until 2003, Tower Mint from 2004.
Guernsey : Royal Mint
Jersey : Royal Mint
Isle of Man : Royal Mint (1971), Pobjoy Mint from 1972
St. Helena : Royal Mint

Collector coins will take a little more research....

<k>

Quote from: andyg on October 16, 2011, 07:14:59 PM

Collector coins will take a little more research....

Yes, I was thinking more about them, as the collector designs from e.g. the Falkland Islands of the last few years have been sub-standard rubbish, and there are too many of them, whereas they used to be fine - like the crown-sized penguins coin of the 1980s or 1990s. 

andyg

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on October 16, 2011, 01:45:33 PM
Pridmore just gives a brief mention that 'this token issues was raised to the status of legal tender by an act of Tynwald on the 24th June, 1679.'

Maud Lister gives a much better account...

I may post the entire paper on my web site tomorrow as it dates back to 1947.

I have now put the whole of Maud Lister's interesting paper "Manx Money" on my site at https://sites.google.com/site/malsiom/home-1/manx
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

<k>

africancoins has sent me a link showing that the Manx five pounds coin of 1981 was officially intended to be a circulating coin.

http://charlessnowdencoins.com/proddetail.php?prod=21198126

africancoins also assures me that the Manx government intended the one pound coin of 1978 to be a circulation coin.

My suspicion is that, because one and five pound notes were still being issued on Mann, the islanders would largely have rejected these coins in favour of the notes - just as Americans have done with regard to their one dollar coins.

translateltd

Quote from: coffeetime on October 16, 2011, 11:35:59 AM
The catalogues tell me that the car on the 1997 two pound coin is a Jaguar Ferrari. I was rather alarmed when I read this, because back in the 1960s (the only time that I took any notice of cars) the Jaguar and the Ferrari were two different beasts, so I am shocked to hear that they are now cross-bred. Perhaps someone can explain how this came about?

KM says "three racecars"; Schön identifies them as a Jaguar, Rolls-Royce and Napier, which sounds plausible to me.  I assume the Jag is a D-type, though the detail is not particularly good.  Anyone know why it seems impossible for anyone to represent a car satisfactorily on a coin?  (I think I raised this before with regard to the Mini on some NCLT issue.)

<k>

Thanks for the update, Martin. I don't understand cars at all - the designs looked perfectly proper to me.  :-[

Figleaf

Yet another anglificed French invention.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

As Dick Turpin [alias Neddie Seagoon] said...  "Stand on your Liver!"
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Pabitra

5 and 10p for 2013 are Copper Nickel plated steel.
They need to be counted as new as they should get new KM#.
I am waiting to get hold of them to see weight variation.