1994 Argentine 25-centavo variety

Started by villa66, October 18, 2011, 02:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

villa66

In the 2012 Krause catalog, the 1994 Argentine 25-centavos at left is KM110a; the variety at right is uncataloged, in that edition, anyway. But we all know how the catalogs differ from year to year; maybe it appeared in an earlier edition.

:) v.

inker03

Hi, I'm from Argentina and we have our own catalogue for coins. We mainly use the one made by Carlos Janson. It´s a book of more than 500 pages. For the 25 cents coin Carlos Janson found 14 variations, the main difference are at the door and at the width of the top of the building.

Best wishes,

Martín

inker03

I forget to give you information about those coins: the left one was coined at South Africa and the right one was coined at England.

villa66

Quote from: inker03 on May 20, 2012, 03:50:37 AM
...For the 25 cents coin Carlos Janson found 14 variations, the main difference are at the door and at the width of the top of the building.

Best wishes,

Martín

I had no idea there were so many...thanks!

:) v.

Kopper Ken

Wouldn't the 110a "Bold lettering" be the coin on the right?  Fine lettering is 110.1 for brass.  There is no fine lettering Copper-Nickel in Krause?

KK

villa66

Quote from: Kopper Ken on August 16, 2012, 01:47:25 AM
Wouldn't the 110a "Bold lettering" be the coin on the right?  Fine lettering is 110.1 for brass.  There is no fine lettering Copper-Nickel in Krause?

KK

"Bold lettering" is indeed the Krause description, but for me it was trumped by the image of the one 1994-dated coin actually pictured, which in the 2012 Krause makes KM110a the fine-lettered piece on the left. (There was only the single listing and illustration for a 1994 copper-nickel 25-centavo.) After reading what the people who actually know these coins have to say, though, I think we can safely say Krause is...incomplete.

;) v.   

Globetrotter

Here is the documentation of the two varieties, btw I have Janson's catalog, which is much more detailed (of course) than SCWC!

I also add the 1996 documentation