News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Yemen, Sana'a mint, Al Mahdi (Al Abbas) AH1179

Started by capnbirdseye, August 30, 2011, 06:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Two coins very similar & very thin ,coin one weighs only 0.80g , dated AH 1179

Coin 2   weight 1g  date AH1169

Vic

aliqizalbash

Coin 1

Yemen, Mint "Sana'a"

Obv: "Ameer Al Momineen Zarb Sanaa"
Rev: Al Mahdi (Al Abbas) + date

Coin 2

Yemen, Mint "Sanaa"

Obv: "Ameer Al Momineen Zarb Sanaa"
Rev: The date is not clear, it's certainly not from the era of Al Mahdi, 1189AH would make it Al Mansoor (Al Ali)

I'll leave this to the gurus :)

capnbirdseye

Wow, thank you qachar, this thread has remained unanswered for quite some time by our regular experts , I had no idea it might be from the Yemen ;D

With a bit of cleaning I can see the second coin is definitely AH1169

It seems there is a large missing section for Yemen in KM between AD1718 -1775 which would have included the reign of Al Mahdi (Al Abbas) AD 1748-1775.

I have however now spotted a coin like mine on Google now I know what to look for ;D
Vic

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

alfahad1

Can any one tell us the cost of this coins

Thanks to all

Figleaf

Such coins are so seldom offered that there is no market price for them. At best, you can check eBay and the relevant KM catalogue, but that will give you a rough indication only. You may have to pay double or triple of what you find, or you may stumble on it for half that price.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

I suggest you contact Stephen Album of Stephen Album rare coins for advice on price and availability. He is a good man and one of the few real experts in the marketplace.

capnbirdseye

I found a bit more detailed info on these coins courtesy of zeno, the denomination is ' Kabir'

Qasimid Imams of the Yemen
al-Mahdî al-'Abbâs, 1161-1189 H/1748-1775 AD
Kabir, BMC O V 374, Mitchiner 1435.
Vic

capnbirdseye

Vic

andyg

that's tricky - since I have a pact with your high bidder and fellow forum member not to outbid him on auctions :-\
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

capnbirdseye

Quote from: andyg on April 30, 2012, 12:25:58 AM
that's tricky - since I have a pact with your high bidder and fellow forum member not to outbid him on auctions :-\

I don't want to hear that!  ;D ;D ;D  I want to see a bidding war between the two of you,  8)
Vic

Afrasi

Quote from: capnbirdseye on April 30, 2012, 10:39:36 AMI want to see a bidding war between the two of you,  8)

We are no warlords, just two little guerilleros.  ;)

alfahad1

Afrasi

Congratulations and welcome to this forum!  :)