Korea, 1/4 Yang, year one, 1897 RR

Started by capnbirdseye, September 23, 2011, 06:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Can't figure the date on this if anyone can help,   it's Copper Nickel, I think it's KM#1117 in my 2006 cat, Dragon crowded by small tight circle, Obv :4 characters
Vic

translateltd

Diametrically opposite the words "1/4 YANG" are (upside down to the viewer's eye) the Chinese characters for KUANG MU FIRST YEAR, which would make it 1897.

translateltd

It's an interesting mix of scripts, too - the name of the country and date are written in Chinese characters (though doubtless pronounced the Korean way), and the denomination is given both in English and in the native Korean Hangul script (it looks like TU DON O PHUN, which would equate to the four Chinese characters on the reverse ("two dimes [and] five cents" for want of any other compact way of saying it).  So the denomination appears three times in total.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: translateltd on September 23, 2011, 09:40:50 PM
It's an interesting mix of scripts, too - the name of the country and date are written in Chinese characters (though doubtless pronounced the Korean way), and the denomination is given both in English and in the native Korean Hangul script (it looks like TU DON O PHUN, which would equate to the four Chinese characters on the reverse ("two dimes [and] five cents" for want of any other compact way of saying it).  So the denomination appears three times in total.

Interesting stuff, thanks for that, according to KM#,  1897 is also one of the scarcest of the dates.
Vic

gxseries

Holy cow, where on earth did you find a coin like that? It's more than a few hundred dollars easily. Let me know if you are interested in selling it as I am looking for that year in my collection...

capnbirdseye

Quote from: gxseries on September 28, 2011, 09:19:25 AM
Holy cow, where on earth did you find a coin like that? It's more than a few hundred dollars easily. Let me know if you are interested in selling it as I am looking for that year in my collection...

My previous posting history tells the story, ;D

I collected most of my coins in the 1960's when oriental & Asian coins were not very popular at all & they've remained virtually untouched since the mid seventies when I moved house, the coin in question plus most of my very recent postings have been sorted out of a large Bluebird toffee tin along with hundreds of other mixed foreign coins  :o

Vic
Vic