News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Triskele!

Started by Prosit, November 09, 2009, 12:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

I don't think so. There is indeed a weapon like the triskele, the hira-shuriken. However, the triskele is a much older symbol, whose original significance is not understood (my own preference is a sun symbol). There may have been a confusion caused by the motto, I stand whichever way you throw me.

That 1668 token is a spectacular catch. Congratulations! My impression is that it would benefit from a long bath in olive oil, which would improve its contrast.

Those 17-oh-9ers are sooo hard to find...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I just find it confusing.  The sun theory doesn't appeal to me but darn if I can imagine a better option.
The one thing I see when I look at it is "motion" but that doesn't set well with me for a meaning either.

If we abstract stuff early man may have been imoressed with lightning has to be taken into consideration IMO.
Curious, odd and sepeculation rife.

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on September 11, 2011, 11:51:27 PM
(my own preference is a sun symbol). Peter

malj1

Another unusual use of the Triskele!

J Legge & Co. Ltd. Willenhall, Staffs.
Bracteate tag presumably from a lock.

The company adopted a novel trademark. While on holiday in the Isle of Man Mr Legge found himself studying the famous symbol of three legs.  Struck by the design he was determined to adopt it as a trade mark; but it was not without the greatest difficulty that he secured permission.
From...    http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/locks/gazetteer/gazlegge.htm
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Yet another prize piece, Malcolm.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Maud Lister pointed out that the legs on the Manx coinage were at first, in 1709, kneeling and facing Ireland, on the 1733 issue they are changed and kneeling towards England, likewise on the Atholl coins of 1758. However as soon as the Island was sold to England he is not kneeling to anyone, on the George III 1786 issue, he is not even looking at England, he is running and running at top speed towards Ireland. He keeps on at this rate during both cartwheel issues of 1798 and 1813. With the Victorian issue of 1839 he has slowed, but still has his back to England, and is away to Ireland as fast as possible.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Quite a feat to know which way England is for a device that has lost face.

Peter

UK Decimal +

Quote from: Figleaf on September 14, 2011, 02:38:30 PM
Quite a feat feet? to know which way England is for a device that has lost face.

Peter

Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Bimat

Look what arrived today! 8)

Isle of Man £5 (1981), KM# 88, 36.5 mm, 20.1g, Virenium, Obverse Designer: Arnold Machin, Reverse Designer:  Leslie Lindsay, Edge: Alternating Reeded and Smooth, Die Letters: AA, Medal Alignment (↑↑), Struck at Pobjoy Mint.

It's also the very first £5 coin of Isle of Man.

Obverse: Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II

Reverse: Triskeles on Map

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on September 14, 2011, 02:38:30 PM
Quite a feat to know which way England is for a device that has lost face.

Peter

This piece, although a rather poor attempt, resembles the Trinacria, which is also the old name of the Kingdom of Sicily:

The reverse is also very intriguing but I have no clues to this side at all.

Malcolm

Figleaf

No doubt Sicily. Since it is engraved, it is probably one of a kind. The parrot may be a reference to a family name in Italian (papagallo) or Spanish (loro).

Peter

Bimat

Got one more today: This time, it's £1 (1979), KM# 44. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Got couple of more Triskele coins, no new types this time, just a new variety. :)

Isle of Man £1 (1978).

Aditya

Bimat

Isle of Man £5 (1991).

Just noticed that I did not have this type in my collection. So indeed a new type addition to my collection. :D

Aditya

<k>

And look at those fish and the lobster. Small triskeles on the obverse too.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

malj1

QuoteI recall reading somewhere that the triskelion was a three armed throwing weapon otherwise similar to the Australian boomerang.

I found the weapon I had in my my mind, not quite a weapon but a three [or four] legged one to toss from the castle walls in front of men and horses to stop them, in much the same way as road spikes are used today to stop runaway cars.

With three legs on each side it falls with the spike upwards no matter what! In fact - quocunque jeceris stabit.  ;D I suppose it has a name?  ???
Malcolm