Maratha Confederacy Rupee: Athni Mint

Started by Overlord, June 01, 2008, 07:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

This one looks pretty suspecious!

Oesho

Maratha Confederacy, Rupee with pseudo mintname Dar al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad and actual mint, Athni, above. The coins are in the name of Alamgir II and bear a fictitious date 1181 on both sides.
On this coin the date on the obverse is only visible. The coin has been harshly cleaned, but still the fabric looks to be authentic. Ref.: Maheshwari/Wiggins: Maratha Mints and Coinage, T1; KM#57.4

Figleaf

I think it does look suspicious. Like an imitation cast in sand or clay. This is easy to produce and would look a bit unsharp, with an uneven surface. You can do the world famous 'ping' test to find out. All you need is the coin and a long metal object (forks are great). You place the coin on the top of a finger and strike it lightly with the fork. If you hear "ping" the coin is struck. If you hear "thud" it is cast. This coin should ping.

The difference in sound between a cast and a struck coin is caused by the density of the metal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

It does look like the surface was degraded through an acid cleaning process. But I don't know enough about silver to know what kind of acid bath was used.
richie

Oesho

Such a surface is not an uncommon feature on some Indian coins, particular on the coins of the Marathas.
I have seen more of such coins, which proved to be perfectly genuine.