News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Readers Digest advertising tokens

Started by Prosit, May 01, 2011, 11:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

I have the £13.97 and £14.97 variants. I hadn't heard of the £12.97 before reading the above.

On the French equivalent mentioned above, it's worth noting that 849 Fr is a heck of a lot more money than ~£15. I'm surprised the RD or similar organisation would be giving away goods to the value of around £85 sterling (at the prevailing rate between the late 80s and the introduction of the euro).

malj1

Perhaps 'VALEUR 849F PIECE MERCI' is a misreading for the more likely 8.49F.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Actually, thinking about it, there's no reason it can't be Belgian, is there? When I were a lad, there were about 70 BFr to the pound, compared to 10 French.

africancoins

The French language piece I have mentioned in this topic is definitely "849 F".

So Belgian Francs seems to be a very good explanation for this value.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Prosit

Same size as the others but made of Aluminum.
Dale

chrisild

Maybe it is actually French but from before 1960? That would be 849 old francs then ...

Christian

Figleaf

Possible, but not so likely. The value would become too low (somewhere beween £ 1 and 2) in comparison with the pound pieces.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

A few others without a value.
Dale

andyg

The 04254, RD PD 65 and 1-06311 are English I think.
One of these is likely the piece which you had to match the number with the number printed to win a prize.

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

FosseWay

Quote from: andyg on May 04, 2011, 08:22:56 PM
The 04254, RD PD 65 and 1-06311 are English I think.
One of these is likely the piece which you had to match the number with the number printed to win a prize.

I suspect all the ones with LIMITED as part of the company's name are British (or Irish), as AFAIK this description is not used in the US (where Inc. is preferred) or Australia/NZ (where Pty. is used). Not sure about Canadian usage though.

redwine

I found my bag and now I shall post them all.  I have lots of duplicates on most.
Thank You to those for encouraging this serious academic research  ;D

7/8 inch diameter
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

Don't worry I have only 10 unique tokens ;)  Each are medal aligned some moreso than others.

This one seems to have gone metric 24mm

redwine

redwine

1 3/16 inches

redwine

1 3/16 inches