Jodhpur Takka: Km 32

Started by Rangnath, May 21, 2008, 07:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

I wish this coin were in better condition.  It is unusually large: 22.7 grams and 26.5 mm across.
I guess 22 is the reynal date.  If the coin is in the name of Shah Alam, it is possible that the date on the side I have indicated as obverse is part of a fixed date.  So much for my guesses. Can anyone offer help?
richie

Oesho

See Jodhpur, KM#32 (C#50)

Rangnath

Yes, I see that now.  It is a perfect fit. Thanks Oesho.
What do the numbers refer?  The reynal year of Muhammad Akbar II and Man Singh?
richie

Oesho

Dear Richie, a simple question, but so difficult to answer.
Coins in the name of Muhammad Akbar II (1806-1837) where struck at Jodhpur, Nagore, Pali and Merta. The dating of the coins of Jodhpur and Pali are identical. On the obverse 31 (sometimes inverted as 13) and 22 on the reverse. The meaning of it remains still unexplained. Muhammad Akbar II and his contemporary, Man Singh of Marwar (1803-1843), ruled both over 31 years and 31 or 22 (but not both) could be a regnal year of one of these rulers. The year 22 has been variously explained. The Ry.22 (of Shah Alam II) would coincide with 1780, the very year in which Bijay Singh obtained a firman of the Mughal Emperor Shah Alam II by which the already existing situation was acknowledged. The coins with the year 22 became to be known as 'Baisandas' and particular this number continued on the later coins of Jodhpur mint.
Upto c. 1858, there is a significant difference in the type of sword depicted on the coins of Jodhpur and Pali.
The Jodhpur type sword is shown with a hand guard, this hand guard is absent on the Pali coins. Despite that so far this type of copper coin was attributed to Jodhpur mint, however, on account of the type of sword, I am inclined to reattribute it to Pali mint.
The weight of these pieces vary between 22.28 to 22.63 gm. This is heavier as the Bijayshahi copper coin (c.20.1-20.7 gm.), known as 'Dhabushahi'. It is reported that Bhim Singh (1793-1803) increased the weight of the Takka to approx. 22.5 gm. Man Singh in turn reduced the weight to the old standard and they became known again by their previous name of 'Dhabushahi'. No Takkas of the increased weight, which fit into the reign of Bhim Singh, has so far been observed. Only two series show an increased weight standard; One struck prior to the reign of Bhim Singh and the other (the type shown above) was struck during the reign of his successor.

Rangnath

I have re-read your reply three or four times, each time resulting in a headache. The complexity of the information is amazing  :o and it underscores the paucity of knowledge that I possess  :-[  of these fascinating coins.  While I appreciate the answer that you provided, I hope some day to do so at a deaper level!

As for my headache; not to worry.  I find that spreading compost in our garden helps enormously.

Thank you very much Oesho.
richie