Five Quarter Rupees: Partabgarh and Mewar

Started by Rangnath, April 25, 2008, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

(The following is purely rhetorical)
Why do they use such large dies for such small coins?

(The following is not rhetorical)
The coins below (match coin A with Coin A for obverse and reverse) are from 2.4 to 2.7 grams.  I assume all are quarter rupees.  Some appear to be from Partabgarh State, though identifying which KM number seems difficult.  Do you have an idea where the others were minted?
richie

Oesho

The weight of the coins indicates, that it are all ¼ rupees.
A)   Partabgarh, Y#4
B)   Partabgarh, KM#27?
C)   Mewar, Y#3
D)   Partabgarh, KM#27
E)   Partabgarh, KM#27

The top images B, D & E should be turned 180°.
Coin B I presume it is KM#27, but I just can't turn the bottom image in such away that a distinct type can be recognized.

Rangnath

That was very kind of you Oesho.  I was really struggling with these.  I imagine the 1/8 and 1/16 th rupees are even more difficult!

You labeled "A" as Y #4.  My standard catalog does not include Y numbers for Partabgarh state.  Is there a KM equivalent? Under which ruler was that coin minted?  My 1801 -1900 Standard Catalog is the 5th edition; my 1701 - 1800 is a 4th edition.  Is that my problem?  It does not contain a Km 27 though does contain a Km 21 (Dulep Singh) and a km 34 (Udaya Singh). 

richie

Oesho

I took the numbers from South Asian Coins catalogue, but in the more recent editions of Krause the numbers seems to have been changed (for easy reference >:(). I have corrected them in the above chart.

Rangnath

Wow!  Easy reference?  Y numbers, C numbers, Km numbers; all for Mewar and Partabgarh (conveniently awarded an alternative spelling of Pratabgarh in the same catalog series!).  :o

I think I understand the reason for the use of multiple number series, but it does make for complicated reading.
richie