News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Jordan: Private medal strike 2000

Started by Austrokiwi, June 28, 2011, 12:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austrokiwi

While I was in Jordan I couldn't resist a sovereign sized medal.   It was produced by the Jewellery shop "Imseeh".   From what I could ascertain not more than 1000 examples were produced.   It was struck to coincide with the popes Visit to Jordan in 2000.  ( I am sure I have seen reference to this medal before but a quick search of WOC didn't highlight any other posts My apologies if the info has been posted already)  As noted it is exactly the same size as a Sovereign and is  21 kt gold. 

Austrokiwi

The Other side

Figleaf

A sign of tolerance, of well understood commercial self-interest or both? As they sang when I was young: "Now wouldn't it be nice, to get on with the neighbours".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

Actually Jordan has a reasonably good level of religious tolerance........But the medal is more understandable when you realise the jewellery shop responsible is Christian owned.....Jordan has a significant, though small Christian community