Jaipur Nazarana coins?

Started by Rangnath, April 03, 2008, 04:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

I can not seem to find these in a catalog.  Are they from Jaipur?
Richie

Overlord

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Richie, I'm too dazed to answer your question. What a set!

Rangnath

Yeah, but why can't I find them in the Standard Catalog?
richie

Oesho

Yes Richie, you will not find these 'coins' in any catalogue, as the are just modern fantasies. Sorry no genuine coin. Fakes. :'(

Rangnath

Thanks for the confirmation Oesho. 
I didn't think that Jaipur State produced a seriies of graded coins from Rupee to what? 1/16 of Rupee? On the other hand, there seem to be an endless series of surprises when it comes to Indian coinage.
Richie

Overlord

I would surely have fallen for these  ::)

Rangnath

I have been fooled before and will again. Hopefully, the experience will not be too costly.  :)
richie

Overlord

Are these fakes made entirely of silver or merely silver-coated?

Rangnath

From Oesho:

Square rupees were occasional struck by certain Indian Princely States. Due
to the shape of these coins they differ from the currency issues and
therefore might have been used for ceremonial purpose only. For Jaipur
State, sq. coins are almost non-existent. The only square rupee of Jaipur I
know of is a square rupee in the name of Muhammad Akbar II, dated 123x/Ry.10
(KM#74).

Rangnath

This is what Joel Anderson had to say about Nazarana coins from Jaipur:
The Majaraja of Jaipur was a very wealthy man. He grew even wealthier due to an unusual practice in this native state in Northern India.   Special, extra large coins, called Nazarana coins, were struck each year.  If one wanted to be on good terms with the Maharaja, one would purchase these special coins from the mint  and present the coins to the Maharaja for his birthday or on other special occasions.  The mintages of these unusual coins were quite low, so they are rarely seen by collectors. The coins acknowledged both the Maharaja and the King of England, who also ruled India. We offer the copper Nazarana  Paisa struck in the name of Maharaja Man Singh II and King George V or King George VI. The exact date of the coin is our choice.  The coins grade XF, however, as is typical of these coins, they have been cleaned.  After all, one would not want to give the Maharaja with a dirty coin!

Are all "Nazarana" coins "commemoratives"?  What is the meaning of the term literally? Is the coin you (Oesho) posted a Nazarana coin?
richie

Oesho

Nazarana coins are presentation coins. Nazar is a gift or a present. Jaipur had a tradition of marvellous broad flan nazarana rupees and paisas. Therefore they are no commemoratives, they doesn't commemorate anything.
The sq. rupee was struck for some unknown occasion. Perhaps a religious ceremony or a wedding or so.
By the shape of it, it was not a currency coin.

BC Numismatics

The last Jaipuri Nazarana coins were actually struck in 1949,just after Maharajah Man Singh II had united Jaipur into the Dominion of India.They are mostly copper coins,& are quite scarce.

Aidan.

shariqkhan

Hello All,
Can we generalize that the coin which is not mentioned in a Catalog is a fantasy / fake?. Because I saw many coins which are not in catalog or not published in any book. So please tell the criteria to recognize  fake coin or fantasy.
Thanks

Oesho

Quote from: BC Numismatics on October 15, 2008, 11:06:49 PM
The last Jaipuri Nazarana coins were actually struck in 1949, just after Maharajah Man Singh II had united Jaipur into the Dominion of India.They are mostly copper coins,& are quite scarce.
As the coins were struck in the name of George VI, one would presume that they were struck just prior to the date the merger of Jaipur into the Greater Rajasthan Union. I tried to work out the history for this period. Maharajah Sawai Man Singh signed the instrument of accession on 12 August 1947, attaching his state to the new India, but he still remained its ruler. In December 1947 he celebrated his Silver Jubilee, scarcely four months after Independence. The festivities lasted for weeks because all the different sections of the public wanted to give receptions for their ruler. Sawai Man Singh was publicly weighted against silver which had been budgeted for from the reserves of the Jaipur treasury, and which was then distributed to the poor. On the occasion of the Silver Jubilee also nice commemorative medals were struck.
On 30 March 1949, the Rajput states of Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Bikaner and Jaipur merged into the new Greater Rajastan Union, itself one part of the Indian Union. Man Singh became the first Rajpramukh (governor) of Rajasthan.
Man Singh’s predecessor, Madho Singh, died on 7 September 1922, so the 28th regnal year must have commenced after the 7th of September 1949. From the date of independence (15 August 1947) India was given dominion status by the British.  In all these years (until 26 January1950), King George VI continued as the King of India. Aidan, therefore, is correct that the Jaipur nazarana coins dated 1949/Ry.28 must have been struck well after Man Singh had been appointed Rajpramukh of the Greater Rajasthan Union and during the period India was a Dominion with the King George VI the head of state.
The inscription on the coins reads:
Obv.: Zarb sawai jaipur, sanah 1949, ba-ahdi shah-in shah sultanat inglistan george shesham.
(Struck at Jaipur in the year 1949, by permission of King of Kings (His Majesty) of England, George the Sixth)
Rev.: Sanah 28 jalus maimanat manus Maharaja-dhi-raj sawai Man Singhji.
(In the year 28 of the fortunate reign of Maharaja-dhi-Raj Sawai Man Singhji)

Below are illustrated:
a) Copper nazarana rupee, dated AD1947/Ry.26
b) Silver nazarana rupee, dated AD 1949/Ry.28
c) Gold mohur, dated AD19(49)/Ry.28.

BC Numismatics

Jan,
  Did you know that Maharajah Sawai Man Singh II died while playing polo? He was actually playing a game while in England in 1970,when he suddenly collapsed & died.

Here's an article about him; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawai_Man_Singh_II_of_Jaipur .

Aidan.