Good for one hour

Started by Prosit, March 30, 2008, 09:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

Good for 1 hour of something.  Gluckstreff = Lucky Club?  I don't know what that is susposed to mean.  Has a lady's head on the reverse 5 times, I will post a bigger image of just her in a min.
Interesting.

Dale

Prosit

Head on the reverse

translateltd

Quote from: dalehall on March 30, 2008, 09:33:49 PM
Good for 1 hour of something.  Gluckstreff = Lucky Club?  I don't know what that is susposed to mean.  Has a lady's head on the reverse 5 times, I will post a bigger image of just her in a min.
Interesting.

I think it's a pun: Glückstreffer is a stroke of luck, a lucky strike.  Treff is a meeting, so "Ihr Glückstreff" combines the ideas of "your lucky strike" and "your lucky meeting".  Given the five girls on the reverse, one can imagine what kind of meeting is involved.

I can't see where it says "good for one hour", or was that just an extrapolation?

Martin
NZ

Figleaf

Martin, "ihr" was interpreted as "1hr".

This is probably not a token for paid sex or wild movies. Austrian culture would not have been conducive to it. I agree that it's a pun, where Treff can be either a meeting (and a Glückstreff would be a chance meeting, a proxy for having fun) or scoring in a game. I think it's a gaming token, used for operating an entertainment machine. The lady stands for glamour, much like the background on old pinball machines (if you remember those :) )

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

When I saw the 1hr  I thought immediately of parking however that didn't fit.  I agree it must be a game token of some sort.

So irh = your  and not 1 hr  ;D

Dale

translateltd

Heh, heh.  I was thrown by the "one hour" reference.  I have just done a Google search for "Ihr Glückstreff", which I should have done earlier, and find it's the name of a German company that runs gaming halls.  It appears to have branches throughout the country.

So the token will most likely be for pinball machines or one-armed bandits, as Peter suggested.  (Yes, I am that old!!)

Martin
NZ

Prosit

Me too   ;D
Dale

Quote from: translateltd on April 01, 2008, 02:29:46 AM
So the token will most likely be for pinball machines or one-armed bandits, as Peter suggested.  (Yes, I am that old!!)
Martin
NZ