Religious medals marked TRECY

Started by maryc, May 02, 2011, 05:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryc

Greetings!
I am very new to this world and new to discussions like this so here goes....!!!!!

I have a medal which is gold plated over some other metal, probably base metal, maybe bronze.
It is approax 25mm in diameter, and marked TRECY on the obverse and reverse.
Can anyone give me any information about this maker, and possibly date the medal

Prosit

I normally don't like tokens or medals that are looped or that have a ribbon but this is a good looking medal.
Sorry I don't know anything about it but it looks good! Congratulations!

Dale

maryc

Hi again!
thanks for the noce reply.
I told you that I was new to this, I am now attaching the picture of the front!

Prosit

I like the Madonna side design better than the other.  Looks very catholic to me like some of the charms my uncle has given me who is catholic....I am not.
Dale

Figleaf

Your title sums it up quite nicely. I have little to add. Generic Roman Catholic amulet or medallion. Modern. Possibly Italian (can't find a producer called TRECY, but Rome has a whole cottage industry producing religious medals and they are not registered enough to pay tax.) The symbolism is strikingly conservative, so the medal may have been targeted at the traditionalist fringe.

obv: Greek style Christ, showing sacred heart with left hand, blessing with right hand, halo with cross behind. I cannot explain the letters W, O (?) and N. Capital Greek alpha and omega on the side (symbols for beginning and end).
rev: medieval style madonna with child in cap and (presumably white) dress with star. The anchor with star refers to Maria as Stella Maris (star of the sea), protector and guide of sailors. Not sure what's in her hand or what the lettering left is/means.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Quote[ Not sure what's in her hand or what the lettering left is/means.

I think I see BVM, Blessed Virgin Mary, which wouls seem to indicate an Anglophone origin.
Bob

Figleaf

Excellent clue, Bob. I now read the second set of letters as DIC. Could that be "day of the immaculate conception" (December 8)?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Speaking as a lifelong heathen Peter, I'm afraid that you have the advantage of me.
Bob

constanius

The "cross" is part of the halo or nimbus, the Nimbus is the window to heaven & the "cross" is actually heavens rays.  Each of the three rays has a Greek letter: Omicron Omega Nu, forming "Ho On". It is how the Septuagint renders the phrase I AM in Exodus 3:14.  So orthodox image, Greek, Russian etc. 

Image from Wikipedia.

maryc

Thank you everyone for all your comments

Blessed Virgin Mary reads in Latin Beata Virgo Maria, so I think it could come from anywhere in Europe.
Trecy sounds like it is either a French maker or from an English speaking country- England or US,
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Mary

Figleaf

Quote from: maryc on May 03, 2011, 01:35:41 AM
Blessed Virgin Mary reads in Latin Beata Virgo Maria, so I think it could come from anywhere in Europe.

Not unless you can explain DIC also. I would expect the Latin version to be Immaculatae Conceptionis die, but Latin has been corrupted before...

Quote from: maryc on May 03, 2011, 01:35:41 AM
Trecy sounds like it is either a French maker or from an English speaking country- England or US,
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

If it comes from an English-speaking country, my guess would have been Ireland. The French would have spelled it Trécy, but diacriticals are often omitted on capitals. I found an Italian furniture maker by the name of Trecy, showing that the name occurs in Italy.

Peter

maryc

Hi Sorry I have been away so long!
I haven't been able to find out any more about the maker Trecy, but I believe the medal is a Carmelite Scapular medal.
the Madonna is Our Lady of Mt Carmel with the Scapular she gave to the carmelite Order. The symbol at the side that looks a bit like an anchor is the crest of the discalced carmelites.
The reverse side is the Sacred heart of Jesus. No-one I have shown this to has seen anything like this before - it like an Eastern Catholic or Orthodox style, but the actual symbols are western Catholic!!!
I've shown quite a few Catholics and religious in the Church and none of them can date it or even know where to start looking!!! I have spoken to a few Carmelite friars and they are intrigued?
A genuine puzzle!!!
thanks for all your help so far
Mary

Figleaf

That helped a bit. Yes, the three stars come from the "order of the brothers of the blessed virgin Mary of Mount Carmel" (Carmelites]:

but not necessarily of the discalced branch. You may get more information here. Good luck.

Another thought: if BVM is Beata Virgo Maria, could DIC be Dominvs Iesvs Christvs? (There goes the English origin again.)

Peter

maryc

Hi Peter
Apparently the crest with the cross on the top is the insignia of the discalced Carmelites.
The badge with just the pointy mount Carmel is the badge of the ordinary Carmelites
Mary

constanius

Byzantine(orthodox) Discalced Carmelites;   Byzantine Metropolia of Pittsburgh, are a community of cloistered nuns of the Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic Church living committed to a life of prayer, according to the eremitic tradition and lifestyle of the Discalced Carmelites.

So I wonder if they also use the same scapular as the Roman Catholic Discalced Carmelites?  If they do, their Christ would probably still be Orthodox in image!  Try checking with them.   Good luck :)

Edit;

It was out of a desire for Christian reconciliation and inspired by Pope John XXIII and the Second Vatican Council that the Byzantine Carmel was brought to life. Holy Annunciation Carmel's founding sisters, Mother Marija of the Holy Spirit, Sister Marie Helen of the Cross and Sister Ann of the Trinity (d. 2001) offered their lives for the healing of the Body of Christ with the inauguration of the monastery at Sugarloaf, Pennsylvania, on 23 February 1977.