News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Plantation token Belgian Congo???

Started by Berani, March 18, 2011, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berani

Hello,

I did find this coin on ebay. One side just looks like a normal 10 centimes 1910 coin from Belgian Congo.
The other side has the letters H M stamped on it. It was written this token should be used as a plantation token. Does anybody more about it? Is it realy used on a plantation. If so what is the name of the plantation. Does anybody know the meaning of the letters H M?

greetings Berani

Figleaf

If there is no supporting documentation, I would be very weary of accepting the claim that his is a plantation token, especially on eBay, where shrillness and hype is the norm. Those letters could have been stamped on the coin by anyone at any time for any purpose.

I hope I am wrong, though...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RVCOINS

In my collection I have exaclty the same coin and inscription H M.

I will have a look in my documention what HM means.

Roland

Berani

Quote from: RVCOINS on March 18, 2011, 03:18:05 PM
In my collection I have exaclty the same coin and inscription H M.

I will have a look in my documention what HM means.

Roland

Ok I hope you can find some information  :)

Marcisharki

Hello,

HM could stand for HUILERIES MOKARIA . This was a former plantation of Unilever in Congo.....

best wishes

Marc
A token a day keeps the Doctor away !

Figleaf

Wow! How did you find that information? Unilever is a prime suspect. Did you buy the coin?

Any idea of when and what for the countermark was used?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Berani

Quote from: Marcisharki on May 31, 2011, 09:08:24 AM
Hello,

HM could stand for HUILERIES MOKARIA . This was a former plantation of Unilever in Congo.....

best wishes

Marc

Might be, thanks for this information!

Berani

Quote from: Figleaf on May 31, 2011, 10:16:51 AM
Wow! How did you find that information? Unilever is a prime suspect. Did you buy the coin?

Any idea of when and what for the countermark was used?

Peter

Yes I did buy that coin... except of the information of Marc mentioned before I don't have any other information.

greetings Berani

Afrasi

In spite of first sight the countermark must have been done in one strike with only one stamp.  :o

Compare it with this one! Compare the distance of the two letters and their identical place on the coin! Compare also the small white points inside the c/m!  ???