News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

New Series of Euro Banknotes as from 2013

Started by chrisild, July 23, 2008, 04:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

The euro is almost ten years old - time to think about new designs? Well, not really. In a little more than two years, however, we will indeed get the first "updated" notes. The look will be basically the same, but some security features will be added. And I guess the map and the list of ECB abbreviations need to be updated. It is not exactly news that the notes will come (here http://www.n-tv.de/701645.html is a German article from two years ago for example) but now we know a little more:

* The first new notes will come in January 2011. (Forget about that date, C.)
* It will take a few years until all denominations are replaced.
* The existing notes will be taken out of circulation but can be exchanged "forever".

Here is some (but not much) further information from a recent ECB bulletin:
The first denomination in the second series is planned to be put into circulation on 1 January 2011, and will be followed by the other denominations over a period of several years. The designs will be evolutionary, for they will incorporate the present "ages and styles of Europe" theme as well as state-of-the-art and user-friendly security features. The designs and features of the second series, in terms of functionality, are based on market research involving the public and people who handle cash professionally, and also on consultations with the main stakeholders in the cash cycle. The ECB will announce well in advance when the current series ceases to be legal tender, i.e. when it can no longer be used to make payments. However, the NCBs will redeem euro banknotes of the "old" series for an unlimited period of time.

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/10thanniversaryoftheecbmb200806en.pdf
(see "9.5 SECOND SERIES OF EURO BANKNOTES", p. 144/145)

Christian

blackev

almost makes me wish I had collected the notes, well you cant win em all.

Figleaf

I wonder what they mean by "user-friendly" security features. There seems to be a lot more checking of even low-value banknotes ging on. It's good if the features can be checked easily; it would be even better if there's hardly a reason to check.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

No idea either what user friendly actually means ... yes, maybe some features that are difficult to counterfeit and yet are easy to check. Just a wild guess.

Sure it would be nice if nothing in the world required any protection against counterfeiting. ;) The current figures, when it comes to counterfeited euro notes, are not exactly dramatic: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2008/html/pr080710.en.html There are about 11.5 billion euro notes in circulation, and 312,000 counterfeits were found or registered in I/08. But that may change in a couple of years, so it sure makes sense to "update" the notes from time to time.

Christian

BC Numismatics

Christian,
  2011 could be the time that the Eurozone went over from paper banknotes to polymer plastic notes.

Here in New Zealand,there has been almost no forgeries detected in circulation since 1999,when the first plastic notes were issued.

Aidan.

chrisild

Currently there are no plans in the euro area to introduce polymer notes. But since the European Central Bank plans to withdraw the old notes when the new ones come, that may be a good occasion for various changes. In my opinion we do not actually need a €500 denomination. Earlier this year somebody started an e-petition in the Bundestag (German federal parliament) about doing away with those notes. Problem is, this is not an issue that the Bundestag can decide ...

Christian

chrisild

According to the Austrian newspaper Wiener Zeitung (article in German), the first new notes will come in 2013 or 2014. Replacing the old ones will not be done in a big bang, but step by step (or rather denomination by denomination). It is not known yet which note will be replaced first. There will be new security features, but the design basics will be the same ...

Christian

chrisild

A few days ago there were several articles about the "new generation" euro notes in various French newspapers. Admittedly I first thought this was based on a 1 April joke. ;D Well, apparently not ...

"Une nouvelle génération de billets en euros, aux motifs inchangés mais aux couleurs plus contrastées, sera dévoilée prochainement par la BCE." http://www.challenges.fr/actualites/finance_et_marches/20110330.CHA4594/de_nouvelles_couleurs_pour_les_billets_en_euro.html

And this article covers the same story but has a few links, also to stories about an initiative to introduce a €5 circulation coin. http://www.sudouest.fr/2011/03/31/vos-billets-en-euros-vont-changer-de-couleurs-a-partir-de-2013-358962-730.php

Christian

Ukrainii Pyat

I cannot say I would miss 5 Euro note, usually when I get them they are pretty snarfy looking because they are the smallest paper money circulating in EU and get a lot of wear.  Coins are really more convenient, at least in traveling because they work in machines everywhere.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

chrisild

Yes, I would much prefer a €5 coin too. But even if we ever get it (the article merely says it was a suggestion of some mints), that would not mean the end of the €5 note ...

Christian

Ukrainii Pyat

Culturally there are some places that seem to prefer notes for low value items, for instance Italy - where there has even been some campaigning for 1 and 2 Euro notes.  Maybe the EU can make some allowance for that and allow 5 Euro coins to circulate in regions where traditionally larger value coins have circulated - like a lot of Germany and some of France, but places like Italy could have lower value notes also.

chrisild

What, euro notes with a face of even less than €5? Nah, the decision to not have such low value notes was made back in 1998. So the lowest paper denomination is, and will be, the fiver. Whether we will ever get to see a corresponding circulation coin ... we'll see. What some mints suggest (and I am sure there are no selfish business reasons involved  >:D ) is one thing; what the member states can agree upon is a different story.

Now in my opinion we should drop the 1 and 2 cent coins, and introduce a €5 coin. We might as well drop the €200 and €500 notes. Oh and while we're at it, the notes do not have to grow "two ways": It makes a lot of sense to have different widths for the different denominations, but the heights could very well be the same. But I'm afraid they won't listen to me. ;)

Christian

Ukrainii Pyat

Some people prefer dirty germ laden paper over fairly bio free coins.  Myself, I just don't like big coins for small amounts.  If the economy were to permit it again - they should have higher value maybe bi-metallic silver coins for circulation. 

Bimat

Common European Currency with Upgraded Security Features

FRIDAY, 24 August 2012

The new euros will be harder to counterfeit

The banknotes of the common European currency, Euro, will have their security features upgraded. The new euro banknotes will be released at the beginning of 2013, Reuters said.

European Central Bank President Mario Draghi is expected to release more details about the euro's updated features this autumn.

The seventeen members of the Eurozone are going to start advertising the new euro banknotes soon.

The new security features are expected to make the common European currency harder to counterfeit, experts say. The current security features of the banknotes of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 euro include a watermark, a security thread, a hologram foil stripe, etc.

The European Central Bank believes that the new security features will make the euro banknotes harder, if not impossible, to counterfeit.

Source
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

A couple of days ago there was an article about that in Handelsblatt (German economy newspaper) which also referred to Reuters. According to that text, however, the new notes will be presented at the beginning of the new year, while the first notes come a few months later.

The latest plans seem to be to not take the old ones out of circulation. Whether that means they can stay around "forever", or whether there will be a fixed dual circulation period, I don't know. Also, no polymer and no RFID. There will still be short codes (indicating the manufacturer) and serial numbers, but they might be different from the ones we have now. Unfortunately all this is pretty vague and semi-official at best ...

Christian