News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Who can tell me something about this coin?

Started by rtholen, March 24, 2011, 10:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtholen

Is there anyone who can tell me more about this coin?

Thanx for your opinions!

Figleaf

May I presume that the other side is blank? What is the diameter of the coin?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

rtholen

The diameter is 23 mm.

The reverse contains the same drawing with lines and dots.

Figleaf

I don't think this is a coin. The elements we have is (imitation) Arabic script or degenerated ancient design, looks like 19th century, Asia. My best guess is a "magic coin" or amulet, sold at a high price by wizards in all of South-east Asia for good luck or to ward off evil.

The pattern reminds me of the ancient Pyu (now Burma) coins. I had something in mind closer than the coin on the picture attached, but I can't find it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Bumping up this old thread I found again looking for something else. If it weren't copper, this coin would remind me of a common Acheh pities. Shouldn't we look North of the Straits instead?

Peter

esnible

Are we sure the coin is bronze?  Many Aceh tin coins are found with a brownish patina.  Zeno - Oriental Coins Database - Tin/Lead

Figleaf

Welcome to WoC. esnible. You are quite right to say that the low value Aceh coins are tin (it is found locally), rather than bronze. In fact, I don't think it is from Aceh, but the pattern reminds me of the Aceh pities. More to the North, on the Malay peninsula, there are coppers, though. Nevertheless, the posted piece remains a mystery, after almost a decade.

Peter