50 fish on 50 cents: Denomination reflected in design

Started by <k>, March 03, 2011, 02:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Three pence, three acorns.

Six pence, six acorns.

Staying on the number theme, how many bees do you see on this Tongan 20 seniti coin of 1975?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

translateltd

Quote from: coffeetime on March 03, 2011, 02:12:10 AM
Staying on the number theme, how many bees do you see on this Tongan 20 seniti coin of 1975?

Ua noa!  I'd never noticed that before.

And of course, the Lundy puffin and half puffin of 1929 show the appropriate bird and fraction thereof.

<k>

The Tongan 50 seniti was even more ambitious.

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Tongan 50 Seniti :

What a beautiful coin!  8) Had never seen before.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

Counting down, then: Tonga 10 seniti.

translateltd

While familiar with that entire Tongan series, I hadn't noticed the numbers of elements on the reverses at all.  I don't think they're much of a help in attributing a denomination, though, as you'd be on for ages trying to count them.  The small numbers of acorns (or dots, or C's) are at least functional as well as decorative!

Figleaf

Somewhat more abstract, but the same idea. Two coins from a very scarce series of patterns of coins for what was to become the Netherlands Indies. On the reaal are 8 dots. Each dot represents 6 duiten. On the 8 reaal are 8 lines, each representing 6 stuivers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Finland 25 markkaa 1979.jpg

Finland, 25 markkaa, 1979.

25 fish, 25 markkaa.

chrisild

Cool! I even have that Finnish coin. But it never occurred to me that the number of fish could be related to the face value ...

Christian

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on April 22, 2011, 06:33:43 PM
But it never occurred to me that the number of fish could be related to the face value ...

Christian

"What good is a brain without eyes to see?!"

Frankenstein's monster in The Ghost of Frankenstein, 1942.

chrisild

wwf.jpg

Phh, I don't need twenty-five fish in order to understand the face value of that piece. ;D  That the number of acorns on the 3d and 6d coins corresponds to the denominations, that I knew. The examples from Tonga - very interesting, have never seen those before.

Here is another one. Not only do the jubilee (50 years WWF) and the denomination (50p) correspond, no, if you count the animals and other symbols (except the WWF logo in the middle), how many do you get?

Christian

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on April 23, 2011, 12:18:33 AM
Not only do the jubilee (50 years WWF) and the denomination (50p) correspond, no, yes, if you count the animals and other symbols (except the WWF logo in the middle), how many do you get?

Christian

This was announced in the pre-blurb. At the time I didn't see how you would fit 50 themes on one coin, but the "designer" has cheated by using 50 tiny two-dimensional Microsoft clip-art GIFs.

chrisild

I am not really fond of the design, but it sure is an eyecatcher ...

Christian

<k>

Those Australians only went and copied the British threepence, didn't they?

Three stalks for threepence, three acorns for threepence - is that what they used to cost?

Not what I'd call a bargain. I've never been to an acorn shop, so I wouldn't know.