News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Yemen ½ Ahmadi Riyal

Started by Lori, February 17, 2011, 01:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lori

I have seen in Krause catalog that 1/2 Ahmadi Riyal Y#16.2 coins were struck over blanks punched from MTT -(Maria Theresa Thaller ) between AH 1377-1382 (1957 -1962).First series of this coins, Y#16.1, were struck between AH 1367 -1377 (1947-1957), details on reverse make the difference between Y#16.1 and Y#16.2.Due to few details, I belive that Y#16.1 was not far from the same MTT blanks -or just few series.

Lori

Details...

Lori

One more photo

Figleaf

Heady stuff, Lori, and exceptionally interesting! Am curious how the MT experts will view this.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

I actually haven't taken much note of Krause when it comes to the Ahmadi Riyal.    To date I have relied on Hafner info regards to the Yemeni over strikes. Hafner lists the over strikes occurred from 1948-62. Looking at my latest version of krause  it looks to me as if they have got the paragraph about the Over-striking on MTT and other coins in the wrong place ( for both the 1/2 and full riyals) I had always assumed (Admittedly a dangerous thing to do) that all Ahmadi riyals were struck over other coins.

I have always wondered if the Imadi riyals weren't produced the same way I have a few 1/2 and full Ahmadi Riyals but have yet to look at the Imadi examples.....this will spur me to action!

Lori

I don't have a Ahmadi Riyal , but I have a Imadi Riyal AH 1344 (1925)-Y#7 - diam. 39,2mm, weight 28,11gr ,thickness 2,5mm. Thickness, diam.and weight are different than MTT, soo ,regarding the blanks of this coins ,I don't know what to say. More than this , on the edge , where is the iron edge limit (on one side)looks to be a  star - mybe a weak strike or a reminder detail.The free space between edge inscriptions is 6mm on one side and 9 mm on the other. Please , post few details of your coins Y#7 and Y#17 to compare them.
Many thank's.

Austrokiwi

Ahmadi  Riyal

You can see definite remains of the base coin on both faces

Austrokiwi

Ahmadi Riyal  ( by the way I am not using a scanner and it seems when I compress the pictures the red tinge appears)

Austrokiwi

Ahmadi edge

Lori

It's a very nice coin and definitly an ex MTT.

Austrokiwi

Assuming  that the Imadi Riyals were not over strikes (Hafner records an MTT over strike Riyal for 1906 to 1920) then there must be an interesting story behind the series of Riyals.  The MTT was important in Yemen right through to the mid 1960s ( unconfirmed rumour has it that Russia Produced the MTT for Egypt;  which were used in support of its actions in Yemen at that time).

Lori

I was loking for other european silver coins that could be used like blanks for this Imadi Riyals ,but diameter of 39,2 mm put me in serious trouble. Ok, let's say ,somehow,a problem ocurr durring minting operations and normal diameter for this coin is 39 mm. All I have to do is to keep searching.
By the way, could be used a blank size out of international standards ? Mybe something local ?

Afrasi

I checked my Yemenite coins again. I found no traces of MTT on Imadi Riyals and Halves, but I found them on every better grading piece of Ahmadi Riyals and Halves.
The clearest one ist the following piece with "ERESIA D G" and some parts of the clothes at the bottom of her bust on the obverse and a the eagle's left claw and many parts of the feathers on the reverse.